19

Trigger warning: assault

One night when the boys were all working late at SM, Kathryn decided to go surprise Kibum. He'd been so busy lately that she wanted to spend time with him.

Kathryn walked there and waited outside under a streetlight for them to come out, checking her watch.

"Excuse me miss." Kate jumped as a man appeared not far from her. "You're gorgeous "

"Oh... Thank you."

The man gave her a smile that sent a shiver down her spine for some reason.

"What are you doing here alone?"

"Just waiting for my fiancé." Kate began to consider calling him.

"Oh you don't need him, you can just come with me."

"I don't think so." Kate went to leave but he grabbed her wrist firmly.

"Where do you think you're going?" the man sneered.

___

As Kibum headed out of the SM building laughing with the members, he heard shouting and saw commotion not far away under a streetlight. As he came closer, he realised that some man was trying to drag his fiancée away.

"Hey!" he shouted, anger suddenly rising inside of him. "Let go of her!"

He was on the man in an instant, throwing punches which made him release Kate. She fell to the ground and hit her head against the pavement as Jinki rushed over to check on her.

"Are you okay?" he asked a dazed Kate. "How many fingers am I holding up?"

"Three. Kibum..."

Kibum was still punching and kicking the man, but by now the others were pulling him off before he could do any more damage.

"You piece of trash!" he cursed as Minho and Taemin held him back. "Don't you dare touch her again!"

Kate jumped up and ran over to him, taking his bruised and bleeding hands in hers.

"Oh my god, are you okay?"

"Never mind me, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, but your hands!"

"It's okay, we'll get them patched up," said Jinki as he approached. "In the meantime, you need to get checked out Kate."

"I'm fine really."

"You're bleeding." Jinki touched the side of her head and she winced. "Let's get you both cleaned up."

Kathryn felt a lot of appreciation for Jinki's role as leader in that moment. Not only did he take care of Kibum, he also took care of her and made sure they were both seen by someone at the hospital in good time.

Kathryn was way more concerned about Kibum than herself. She was glad he had been there, but he couldn't afford to injure himself: he was a kpop idol.

"Are you sure this is okay? How will you explain these injuries?"

"It's okay." Kibum stroked her cheek. "As long as you're okay."

"I'm sorry." Kate looked down.

"Why?"

"I caused you trouble."

"No, you didn't. You didn't do anything." He cupped her face. "It was all that guy. Are you sure you don't want to press charges?"

She nodded. "I don't think the police will believe me."

"Why not? I'll back you up."

Kate looked down again. "Korean police are notorious for not taking foreigners seriously. I don't rate my chances. And anyway, I think he got the message."

Kibum sighed. "I wish things were better here sometimes." He put his arms around her. "In any case, I'm here to protect you. I won't let anything happen to you." He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her head as the others came back into the room.

"We can leave now," said Minho. "I went ahead and called us a taxi."

"Thanks," said Kathryn. Minho gave her a warm smile as he held the door open, making sure both her and Kibum got home safely.

It didn't hit Kathryn until later, when she was cuddling with Kibum in bed. It hit her then what could have happened if he wasn't there to save her. Tears began falling down her cheeks as she cried silently, and soon she felt a hand brushing them away.

"I thought you were asleep?"

"I couldn't sleep." He readjusted his position. "I can't help wanting to watch over you."

Kate sniffed and buried her head into his chest. He kissed her head and stroked her back.

"When you go out at night, can you tell me first? So I can feel reassured?"

She nodded and sniffed again, breaking out into small sobs.

"It's okay. I'll always be there to protect you. And if I'm not there, you can call one of my friends and they'll be there for you."

"I love you," she whispered, loud enough for him to hear it.

"I love you too."

Kibum vowed then to do what he could to keep her safe and out of trouble. She was what mattered most to him, and he wouldn't let anyone take that away.