Cup 16: The Two Generals

"D-Demonia!" Aurora screamed.

"You just had to brag about how lucky we are, didn't you?" Ryu pointed at the witch and the demon. "Does this look lucky to you?!"

"W-well if you look at it one way, what are the odds of these two showing up for any other adventurers, nya?"

"I don't want this kind of luck! This is the exact opposite of what we should be running into every time we go out to explore!" Ryu exclaimed.

"Morgana, maybe we should let them go. They were just defending themselves," the witch said to her companion.

"Nonsense! They killed Slimey and now they will pay with their blood," the scantily clad demon said in the same sultry voice they had heard prior.

The hairs on Ryu's neck stood on end. [Insight] did nothing to assuage his fears. In fact, it only worsened them.

[Level: ???]

[Skills Acquired: ???]

[A protection spell has been cast on the target to prevent statistical checks]

[Caution is advised when approaching unquantifiable organisms]

He looked up at Aurora; her ears drooped as she used her remaining energy to keep them airborne. The spell she had cast had sapped her of her strength. Agrius! We have to call Agrius! He made to reach for Sylfie's pack only to find it half dissolved, cryptic conch and all.

"Hmm, how should I dispatch these three? Should I dice them into little pieces? Burn them to a crisp? Maybe I should feed them to my other pets. That'll teach them a lesson," Morgana pondered.

"I'd like to see you try!" Sylfie challenged, steeling herself. Sweat dripped down the side of her forehead as she tried to put on a fierce display.

"Don't encourage her!" Ryu exclaimed. "Uh, miss demon—"

"That's General Morgana to you, worm."

"Y-yes, General Morgana, we were just in the area doing a bit of slime hunting and, well, we were ambushed by your pet, Slimey."

"That isn't Slimey's fault!" the demon boomed. "He was just curious! But you killed him in cold blood without a second's hesitation!"

"She's not going to listen to reason, Ryu! We need to finish her off now!" Sylfie exclaimed.

"Finish her off how?!" he replied, incredulously.

Was she insane? Ryu could tell she was afraid, a slight tremble in the hand that held her dagger.

"Ha! Little miss elf wants to fight! At least she's got guts! Very well then, I'll humor your request," Morgana grinned, deviously.

She reached down her throat, pulling out a brilliant sword, inlaid with gemstones and runes Ryu had never seen before. The blade was coated in an energy that burned deep crimson like the fires of Hades itself.

Sylfie recoiled at the sight.

"Creepy!" Aurora exclaimed.

"You know, maybe demons aren't so bad—ow!" Ryu exclaimed as Sylfie kicked him in the shin.

"Save it for later!" she remarked.

"Now," —Morgana licked the flat of her blade— "who's first?"

"See, I feel like she's trying to tell me somethi—ow!"

"Will you quit it?!" Sylfie exclaimed.

"He can't help it, nya. It's in his DNA. He was born stupid," Aurora stated.