56 | change of heart

Start from the beginning

Aadarsh sighed defeated. He needed to address his relationship with her more than any other.

"Somewhere, she's still hurting. You need to heal it with your words and actions. Go." She encouraged him.

He gazed at the other cups. "Phupha Ji?"

"He's playing chess with Nirvaan. I will take his tea to him."

He nodded. His hand raised up to the tray. He intentionally caressed her hand before holding the tray. She looked at him, slightly taken back by the purposeful gesture. He leaned forward and kissed her cheek. "Thanks!" He whispered, taking charge of the tray. He walked away, leaving Ruhaani with a heart that hammered hard against her ribs.

The tea boiled over, the sound catching her attention. "Damn it." She mumbled growing annoyed. Dai Jaan would have a chance to tell her about her lack of attention in the kitchen yet again, if she saw the milk pan.

***

Aadarsh made his way to the steps leading down to the backyard, where his aunt was seated by herself. Upon hearing his footsteps, she glanced up in his direction.

"Arey, Aadarsh! Should have called me inside. Why did you bother to bring it here?" She said surprised.

He settled on the step beside her, placing the small tray between them. "Isn't it quite hot to be outside?"

"It's a bit breezy today, so I don't mind."

Aadarsh smiled, as she took one cup. He took the small bowl of biscuits and rusks, that Ruhaani had placed on the tray. He extended it towards her. His aunt smiled and picked one. He followed the suit and took his cup.

"I didn't know that Ruhaani made you do household chores," she jested.

Aadarsh smiled shaking his head.

"Thank you, Aadarsh, for being here. I know you had important meetings... you didn't really have to come back early for me. Work is important for you and I understand. I am just getting an year older, we don't need to celebrate that." She chuckled dryly.

"You're important too, Bua. And it's not celebrating you turning an year older, it's celebrating you, your place in each of our lives and your journey so far."

His aunt smiled warmly at him, tears glistening in her eyes. She had expected Rohan to surprise her by a visit on her fiftieth birthday. Her practical part knew it was stupid to keep such expectations. He was literally an ocean away. However, having Aadarsh come early and all of them throw a surprise party for her was a genuine heartfelt gesture, that had worked like a charm on the damage caused by her expectations out of her son.

"I am sorry, for whatever happened at Holi. I...I really didn't mean it."

"I know baccha. And you have apologized and I have forgiven." She said in an attempt to dismiss his guilt.

"But ...not forgotten, right?" He said slowly.

He saw the smile rapidly fade away. Ruhaani was right. Given the big heart his Bua had she had made peace but somewhere deep down it still hurt...his words still hurt. The implication of his words still hurt.

Just loving someone is not enough; you need to express it, to let them know it and feel it.

He could heard Ruhaani's voice loud and clear. Somehow his brain was learning how to grasp on to her words, especially those filled with wisdom.

"Bua, I know I don't say it often enough, but I don't know what our life would be if it wasn't for you and Phupha Ji. You have always been our support system and it means everything to us. We can never express how thankful we really are." He said softly.