Chapter 1 - Here we go Again

Izuku wanted to cry.

"What do you mean, doctor?" Inko asked in that small voice she put up when she tried to put up a brave face, but in reality she was freaking out. Izuku knew that tone all too well, unfortunately. It's not what he wanted to hear right now. He didn't want this to happen, not again. Please, not again.

"You see this here, it's an extra toe joint," the doctor explained, as if Izuku didn't already perfectly know what to look out for. "In people with quirks, like yourself, it's gone. But your son still has it, meaning he's very unlikely to develop a quirk."

Izuku glared at him. This man was despicable. Absolutely despicable! Izuku hated him! Hated him from the moment he met him and for what he had done ever since! How he used corpses, how he manipulated bodies and people and put up this goddamn good doctor act! But being angry at him right now was pointless, wasn't it? He hadn't done those things yet- Well, most of it. Because Izuku had bigger things to worry about.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but your son is quirkless."

Yeah, big shock! Izuku already knew that. And he also knew this meant he'd have an absolutely horrible childhood! One he didn't want to relive again! Okay, big breath. Think. The blast was similar to the one he saw the first time he was sent back in time, but this time he was right in front of it. And he remembered everything, which meant the machine still didn't work like it was supposed to, even if Jikan had gotten a second chance at building it.

Time travel is complicated, he supposed.

He was snapped out of thought when his mom nudged him to say goodbye to the doctor before leaving. Izuku didn't even spare him a glance, simply clenching his All Might plushie and tugging at his mother's hand, wanting to leave as quickly as possible. Inko went along with it, nervously apologizing to the doctor before leaving with Izuku.

"That wasn't very nice, Izuku," she scolded him.

"He's not a nice man," Izuku countered, surprising his mom. He'd never been a kid with an attitude, always the innocent little sweet boy, so Inko wasn't used to him talking back like that.

"Izuku!" she gasped, kneeling down in front of him so she could look him in the eye. "That is not how we talk about people! I get that you're upset. It's not nice hearing you won't be having a quirk, I know that. And I'm sorry-"

"You don't have to be sorry," Izuku told her. She didn't. She shouldn't have to feel that way. And she definitely didn't need to tell him. "It's not your fault, mom."

No, it was Hisashi's fault. His oldtimer of a father had given his old world quirkless genes to him as a fun parting gift. A man who was roaming free right now. His big fight with All Might, the one where his mentor received that nasty injury, hadn't even happened yet. Which meant that All Might had only just debuted. Still just Toshinori Yagi and not the symbol of peace. And Izuku was just a little quirkless child, years away from becoming something even close to a symbol of hope.

"It's okay to be upset, Izuku," Inko said with a soft smile, wiping away the tears that had started rolling down his cheeks. "It's okay to be upset about this."

"But I don't wanna be!" Izuku whined. He didn't want to be upset about this! He shouldn't be! He was a pro hero and he knew the risks of his mission, knew Jikan was building a rewind machine, had experienced it first hand. He knew he'd get a quirk, that wasn't the problem here! No, the problem was- "I don't wanna be here!"

He knew the risks but that didn't mean he wanted to take them! Planning to raid Jikan's base didn't mean he was planning on being sent back in time for a second time! This was the absolute worst thing that could happen and Izuku didn't want to go through that hell again! And so he cried. Inko picked him up in her arms and he cried. Sobbing throughout their walk back home as reality set in. His mom had to comfort him the rest of the day, wanting him to feel better. She made katsudon, put on his favorite old timey hero movie, even allowed him to stay up later than usual. Not that any of it was really helping, but Izuku had enough experience to put up a front and act like everything was okay, if only not to worry his mother.