First Day Jitters

Monday September 2nd 1991

I wake up in excitement. It's the first day of lessons.

I check my timetable that was given to me, to see what lessons I have.

9:00am Potions (G)
10:00am Quidditch (G)
11:00am Break
11:20am Astronomy (R)
12:20pm Lunch
1:00pm Herbology (G)
2:00pm Divination (H)
3:00pm Free time
5:30pm Dinner
7:00 Free time
9:00 Lights Out

I assume the letter on the side of lessons means what house we have our class with. Slytherin are mostly paired with Gryffindor.

Lessons only start at 9:00 so that gives me 2 hours to get ready. I put on my Slytherin robes, and brush my hair into my signature 2 braids.

"How are you wide awake?" Says a groggy voice from behind me. I turn around to see Edith sat on her bed, with wild hair. Well her hair is always wild but more wild than normal.

"Well morning to you too." I say sarcastically in response. She smiles at me then gets up and looks in the mirror.

"Jesus I look like I've been dragged through a bush backwards." She says laughing.

"We have potions first period." I say to her. She rolls her eyes

"I hear professor Snape is really strict. If I get a detention my mum will kill me." She says.

"I mean he's not that bad." I say shrugging.

"How would you know?" She replies.

"I live with him." She looks at me with her jaw dropping.

"Poor you!" She says. I smile and roll my eyes at her. We both continue to get ready for our day, then walk down to the great hall together to get breakfast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~|||~~~~~~~~~~~
Once in the hall, me and Edith look for a place to sit. I notice that there are some empty seats next to Neville, Seamus, and Dean, so I lead Edith towards them.

"Hi guys!" I say, way too enthusiastically for a Tuesday morning. Seamus looks up and nods at me and Dean send me a small smile. Neville however is completely lost in thought.

"Is it alright if we sit with you?" I ask.

"Sure." Seamus says, tiredly. We both take a seat next to the boys.

"This is Edith." I say to them. They all introduce themselves to her and then we start eating breakfast.

"I'm so nervous." Edith says into my ear. Her hands are shaking like jelly. I put my hand over hers to ease the trembling.

"We'll be fine, I promise. I say to her reassuringly. She smiles back at me, weakly. I look over to Neville. He hasn't eaten anything or said a thing.

"You ok Nev?" I say. I like the nickname on him, it's sweet. He snaps out of his daydream and looks at me.

"Oh I'm fine.." he says stuttering. It seems everyone has first day jitters.

I continue with my food, sensing that everyone's too nervous to talk right now.

I pull out my potions book and read the pages carefully, to prepare for our first class.

--------------