031. Life in Grey/Technicolour. 🩶💛

Start from the beginning

"Where did he even go?" I asked.

"Think he went to make amends with his mom." Steve said.

"He did. It didn't work out, but he got a job and decided to stay there for a while. But he's done travelling and he's coming back." Robin said.

"Can I see that?" I asked, as she handed me the letter.

And as they planned the cookout, I stared down at the letter, at his neat handwriting, trying to remember him. For some strange reason, he seemed like a really distant memory to me.

"I love that colour on you Nance." Robin said, which made my head snap up.

"Uhm, since fucking when?" I asked, as she grinned.

"Since I met up with Vickie again. It's official, I'm a taken woman." Robin said, gleefully.

Unable to be mad at her, seeing how happy she was, I sighed softly.

Robin was wonderful, so was Vickie.
And I was glad she was seeing colour.
She deserved it more than any of us did.

"I'm so happy for you. Honestly." I said, as she pulled me into a one armed hug.

"You have to believe that your time will come." She said, in my ear.

"I'm not sure that's the case, Buckley." I said.

********************************************
"Here he is!" Steve cried, as we stood outside of Wayne's trailer, the BBQ blazing away.

I was distracted, talking to Jeff and Wayne, that I didn't see him climb out of the cab.

"Looking good Wayne." I said, as he chuckled softly.

"Me or the burgers?" He asked, playfully.

"You, obviously." I said, just as playful.

"Okay, should I be worried?" Jeff asked, feigning concern.

"Worried about what?"

I turned at the source of the husky voice and I was sure that time completely stopped.

And as my eyes fell on his smiling face, he turned from grey to a soft pink, and the grass was suddenly green.

I could see the lilac of Nancy's dress, the coral on Buckley's lips, the orange glow of the coals on the bbq.

The silk brown skin of my boyfriend, Jeff.

Shit.

Oh I remembered him now.
I was remembering him vividly, in complete HD, and colour.

"Absolutely not." I answered, realising there'd been a long pause.

"What are we worried about?" Eddie asked, as I searched his eyes; was he seeing colour too?

Or was it just me?

Great.

I was seeing colour and potentially it was unrequited.

Just my luck, perhaps.
For the love of God.

"Lottie here, was flirting with your Uncle." Jeff said, as Eddie laughed loudly.

"What are you laughing at boy?" Wayne asked, as they both smiled at each other and hugged tightly.

Whilst I was losing my mind.

"Welcome home, son." I heard Wayne say.

"Good to be home." Eddie said, sounding happy.

"You okay there babe?" Jeff asked, as I rubbed my head, laughing slightly.