Chapter 24: I Never saw that coming...

Start from the beginning

“I-I thought I was over this Grady.” He said again and swallowed hard, “I was fine and then when you held me down I kept seeing him and I couldn’t-” he broke off to wipe his eyes but the tears kept coming.

“Kept seeing who Thomas? What’s going on?” I pushed, desperate for answers.

He only shook his head as if trying to clear it, “Fuck! Why am I crying?” he suddenly shouted then took a deep breath, then another.

“I’m not a coward, this is fucking ridiculous, I don’t know why I’m acting this way.” He said again, then took another deep breath, trying desperately to calm himself as I watched helplessly.

“Thomas, what’s going on?” I asked, this time firmly and when he looked up once more I met his tear filled eyes and he said to me, his voice slightly shaky.

“I-I was…” deep breath, then more firmly, “I was raped nine years ago and I thought I was over it, I thought I could do this...but I can’t.” he said then looked away before he could gauge my reaction.

I could only watch him in shock as my mind began to process his words. I saw when he ran his hand through his hair again and took another deep breath and I saw when he wiped at his wet eyes, I saw when he blinked a few times to dispel another bout of tears and I saw it when he schooled his expression and stiffened his jaw, trying to be tough but I wasn’t even sure I understood any of it, the only thing that was running through my mind were the words I managed to get out a few seconds later;

“What?”

……………………………………

~Carson’s POV~

“So it’s true then, the human knows our secrets.” The chief stated rather than asked. He was looking at me with those piercing, distrustful eyes I had grown so accustomed to.

“Yes, he does, through no fault of his own. He simply got caught up in a matter between two mates.” I told him leaving out the fact that one of those mates included the pack Beta.

“It matters not how he came to know our secrets. We are only concerned with the fact that he knows. Am I to assume this matter is being dealt with as laid out in our code Alpha?” he asked  and I gritted my teeth as I looked over at him.

He knew very well how I felt about the murder of humans and I could tell he was bubbling with joy in the face of my discomfort. The bastard. They probably all were.

I gazed around the room once more taking in the faces of the ten council members who sat in their circle at the front of the room. Every one of them had their eyes on me, trying to appear intimidating but failing where I was concerned.

If I said I liked any of them I would be lying. They were the pack elders, set in their ways and distrustful of the young. They thought humans existed for our amusement and to work alongside them was disgraceful.

They certainly helped to make my job as Alpha a lot harder than it needed to be with their strict adherence to the code and their intense dislike for anything that went against it.

“The human is being dealt with in the way I see fit. He will not be executed unless I see no other way to secure his silence.” I said adamantly and a chorus of mumbling went up among them.

“You would put your pack in harm’s way Alpha? You would ignore the code to secure the life of a mere human?” the chief asked in disbelief and I bristled.

“The pack isn’t in danger. The code states that if it is the Alpha’s belief that a human will publish the pack’s secrets to the outside world then said human must be executed without delay.” I said, quoting section 4, subsection 6, paragraph ‘A’ of the pack code.