【 Chapter 25 】➪ 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐞

ANNE's POV:

       Ever since I had arrived at the castle in WindKnight's Lot and discovered that Dio was killing the villagers in order to drink their blood—even if it was to heal himself that still didn't make it okay—I was horrified. After dozens of protests he finally conceded, vowing that he would only hunt once a week, and only humans society would usually deem despicable.

       To ease my conscience Dio also commanded his henchmen to follow the same rules as him. They were not happy; hence the many near-eaten experiences I've had to go through in the past five days. I have a hunch that they're hunting an extra human every now and then in secret though, however, with no proof I can't exactly bring the matter to Dio.

       Jack The Ripper is one of the zombies I've suspected now for a while, plus knowing about his sadistic tendencies doesn't exactly raise my opinion of him. He hasn't returned since Dio sent him to deal with Jonathan, so I assume he won't be returning at all. A small smile plays on my lips as I turn the page of the book I've been reading.

       Come to think of it, if Jonathan is drawing nearer, I should keep a closer eye on Dio. I can't have him running off to battle without me, which is something he would undoubtedly do. I snap my book shut and tuck it back onto the shelf where it belongs. I look both ways down the dark hallway before jogging in the direction of the main hall.

       I glance behind me again to make sure I'm not being followed before running into something hard, teetering backwards and then falling on my butt. "Ouch! What the—" I look up to see what I expected to be a wall of some sort only to find myself gazing up at The Dark Knight Blueford. "O-Oh! I didn't see—I'm s-sorry! P-P-Please don't eat me!"

       I cower with my arms over my head, hoping that by doing this I'll delay the inevitable. My whole body shakes and I clench my teeth to stifle a whimper as he leans over me. "So, you are Anne, Lord Dio's betrothed."

       His voice doesn't sound too threatening, so I take the risk and peek up at him, lowering my arms a little. He's holding his hand out to me. Eyeing him suspiciously, I take his hand, allowing him to pull me to my feet, which he does as if I weigh nothing.

       "So. . . you aren't gonna, eat me?" I ask him hesitantly, dusting myself off.

        "No. I would never harm a lady." He replies stoically. After a moment of silence he introduces himself, bowing his head slightly. "My name is Blueford, pleased to make your acquaintance." I bow my head as well, finally noticing what he was in the middle of doing before I ran into him. He was putting on his armor.

       "What're you up to?" I ask casually, pretending to be aloof so that I might be let in on some battle plans. Dio doesn't bother to tell me details because he thinks I'll worry too much about Jonathan getting hurt. Well, that's how he wants me to see it. I can tell he's actually really stressed about the whole ordeal and now he's trying to avoid any fights with me, but I'll find out his plans one way or another.

       Blueford narrows his eyes while he finishes tightening the strap securing his shoulder armor—pauldrons, I think they're called—in place. "I'm preparing for battle. Did Lord Dio not inform you of this?"

       "Umm, of course he did!" I lie, biting the inside of my cheek as I think of how to make the situation more believable. "I just uh, didn't know he was sending, you. . . in particular?"