【 Chapter 20 】

Even though it's getting quite late, the possibility that I've just found a clue cannot wait. My feet fly as I run back to the Joestar estate, not wasting a minute. I bound over the last grassy hill, finding my way to the garden of wilting flowers and greenery. No one tends to them anymore, so it's only natural that they are starting to fade away, just as the memories of my former life do.

The off white structure of the gazebo peaks out from behind the vines that cling to it, growing freely without anyone to trim them. I begin my search, carefully inspecting every inch of it; each chip in the paint, every little crack I can find. The gazebo appears to be untouched, making my heart sink a little in my chest.

I lean into the railing, letting out another sigh. My fingers tightly clasp it, feet firmly planted as I wait. Just maybe, he'll appear from behind me just like the first time, with sweet words and a rose in hand. Then, we'll share a gentle kiss, and everything will be simple again.

I bring the rose close to my face, taking in another whiff of the faint but pleasant aroma. I stand up straight again, smoothing my blouse of any creases or wrinkles. Moving to exit the gazebo, I freeze in place when I hear a squeak underfoot. Repeating the same motion I'd just made, it's unmistakable.

Most people would assume that it was just a fault in the design, maybe one floorboard was a bit too short and didn't fit properly, but I know that can't be the case. That sound wasn't there before, and the Joestars wouldn't hire a lazy worker who'd cut corners to get the job done faster.

Kneeling down, I investigate the loose board, jamming my fingers into the small gap and lifting it up. Underneath is a small plain box. I open it hesitantly, and find a folded note inside.

Dear Rose,

If you've found this, then I'm pleased to know you're as clever as you are beautiful. I'd like to keep anyone from finding me for as long as possible, so I had to be discreet with the clues I left you. Since you've made it this far, maybe you'll go a little further for me?

If you're willing, please go to the town of Windknight's Lot and wait in the town square until midnight. I hope to see you again soon, my love.

I feel a smile stretch across my face into a huge grin, a spark of excitement glowing brightly inside me. Hope. Hope that I'll see my love again, that he's been waiting for me all this time, longing to be with me, just as my heart has been aching to be near him.

       A soft sigh escapes my lips, disappearing into the night air as my hands clutch the letter, holding it close to my chest. No time to waste now, Anne.

       No more room for weakness, no more crying. I can't let my emotions get to me like they did when Dio was shot by those officers the day of the fire. One  small amount of weakness, could tip the scale, throwing everything into chaos all over again.

—————

       My mother chokes on her food, coughing and sputtering, before she can utter her reply, "H-He's Alive?"

       Father eyes me from across the table, his attention now fully on the topic of the conversation rather than the pork chop in his plate.

      "Dio Brando, what you're trying to say is that, he survived the fire, along with, being impaled. . . ?" He inquires in a calm voice, hiding the underlying traces of curiosity behind it.

       I nod my head, "Yes. I know it's hard to believe but I'm telling you it's—"

       "It's impossible Anne, that's what it is! No man could escape such an ugly fate as being pierced through the stomach, burning alive, and well," she waves her hands around in an exasperated manner while trying to think of how to say what she wants to say, ". . . well, likely also being crushed by the collapsing building!"