【 Chapter 13 】

"Because, I'm the one who's been poisoning him this whole time." His words are a quiet whisper, yet they ring out like a gong. It feels like a hard jab to the ribs, knocking the air out of me.

       The color drains from my face, making me pale as a sheet. My hands start to shake a little, followed by my teeth starting to chatter. All the air in the room must have been sucked out, because I can't breathe.

       Poisoning him? Poisoning. . . Mr. Joestar?

       Tears form at the corners of my eyes. No! It must be another lie! He, he wouldn't do that. . . would he? Dio slowly backs away from me, watching his statement take effect with that unreadable face of his. My knees go weak and I fall to the ground, unable to bear the weight of the world. Everything in my life was perfect. . . .

       My jaw clenches, balling my fists I slam them down on the floor in agony. How could you? How could you take that away from me! My body quakes, shivers wracking through my body.

       "You. . . " Even though I'm trembling, my voice comes out strong and steady, filled with venom. I glare up at him from my place on the floor, "You've ruined everything! My life was finally perfect!"

       He just stands there, not saying a word, unable to deny my accusations. Using the wall for support, I get back up, fists curled so tightly that I feel my nails digging into the skin of my palms. I put my arms up, keeping my feet shoulder width apart.

       "Remember, your fighting stance is important when taking someone on. You need to be firm and balanced, but also ready to move at a split-second's notice, understand?"

       "Alright, I think I got it. Like this?" I adjusted my balance so that my weight was on my toes, feet apart.

       Dio circled me while he observed the position of my body. Without warning, he hooked his foot around my ankle and tripped me. Just before I hit the ground, his hand closed around my wrist, pulling me back up.

       "I said ready to act in a split second." Dio smirked at my shocked expression, "Now, arms up." He ordered as he got into his own fighting stance, "Hit me. I want to judge your strength."

       "What? I'm not going to hit you!" I protested.

       "Come on, let me have it. Hit me as hard as you can, I want to know whether training you is even worth the trouble." He added.

       "I don't want to hurt you!" I shout, lowering my fists.

       "You couldn't hurt me if you tried." His cold expression lit a fire within me, even though I know he's just trying to get a reaction, that doesn't matter. No one calls me weak.

       "Oh yeah?"

       Using all the power I can muster, I send a right hook straight for his jaw. Half of me didn't expect it to connect, but for some reason, Dio doesn't even attempt to dodge.

       With the impact of the hit, he stumbles backward before regaining his balance, slowly bringing a hand to his mouth and wiping away some blood. His eyes meet mine with that same piercing quality in them I've come to be so familiar with.

       Rising back to his full height, he steps forward, and I can see the wicked intention in his movements. He's physically stronger than me—a lot stronger—and knowing that he's just told me something that could land him in jail, I'm afraid of what he might do to me to keep me silent.