Apparitions

Your body felt light, as if the gravity of your fears and worries had been lifted off of them. However, they felt cold; a glacial touch having crawled its way under your skin and settled deep inside your bones.

No matter how close you hugged yourself, nothing would chase the shivers running down your skin away. And yet, you kept on trying, a stubbornness in you wanting nothing more than to return to the sweet escape of sleep again.

But that was all thrown away in an instant when, even if muffled and far away, you heard his voice break the surrounding silence.

"C'mon, c'mon... there has to be something here.'

Your eyes flung open and your head shot towards the direction you had heard him speak. Your vision was blurry and you recognized nothing around you, but a desperate hope had been awakened. and made you stumbled forward through a foreign thickness.

Your heartbeat begun beating loudly in your ears as you started recognizing a shade of red you had though you'd never see again. You instinctively reached forward, a compelling yearning overwhelming your mind and body.

Vash!

There he was. In flesh and bones, a few dozen yards away from you rapidly tapping away on a bright control panel. Even with a deep frown on his face, and dust dulling the shine of his hair and coat, he was still just beautiful and magnificent as you remembered him.

No. If anything, he was even more angelic like this; seeing him alive and well after having given up all hope of even catching a glimpse of him ever again.

You pushed forward, your mind still latching on to his presence like he was your last beacon of salvation. Just as always.

However, as if the universe was mocking you, a barrier stopped your trembling body from advancing any further. You pushed on it with you outreached hand, refusing to tear your eyes away from Vash's silhouette. Still, the invisible barrier would not break, making your chest ache with anguished frustration.

You brought up your other hand, using all your strength to push against this obstacle that kept you away from him. Fumbling to steady yourself in this strange fog you were floating in, you strained yourself to press against it, even as it showed no sign of weakness despite all your efforts.

It was only when you decided to look away from Vash for a moment to try and find a way around the barrier that you finally noticed what your limbs looked like, making you freeze at the sight.

"We gotta go Needle-Noggin!"

Wolfwood. His voice booming brought your attention back at the scene in front of you. He was standing on the doorstep of the strange metallic room filled with wires and tubes you were all in. A cigarette still hanging from his mouth and the covered cross over his back, he looked the same as before, only his clothes more wrinkled and dirtied.

When his blond companion stayed silent, not acknowledging his presence, the priest let out a heavy sight and quickly stepped over to join him.

"We need to go. Now."

"I just need one more minute, Wolfwood."

"We don't have a minute! The sandsteamer's leaving now! So, unless you wanna end up across the sand Ocean, we're getting off now!"

You didn't want them to leave. Your heart raced and ached with the thought of them leaving without noticing you.

Even if nothing around you made sense, even if the feathers and translucid skin over limbs that acted like your own unsettled you, even if this was a dream and it was all your mind torturing you; you just wanted to meet those gentle clear-blue sky eyes once more.