Spy? Lucky like a Lottery

'You're good, Ghosty?'

'Yup.'

You closed your eyes and went in search of that small source of energy in your chest, progressively tugging on it until you felt it stretch out. As you did so, your shadow cast by the bright moonlight of the five celestial sisters slowly faded away, indicating you were now only visible to one particular blond criminal.

'You promise to be safe?' asked the latter, worry almost tangible around him.

'Yes, but don't worry, I'm just going in and out real quick, ok?' you reassured the man with your best smile.

It was clear from his expression and his clenched fists he didn't buy into your words or confidence, and to be honest, you couldn't blame him; you had been trying to reassure yourself at the same time as him and it hadn't really worked either. Still, if the way anxiety was twisting your stomach and making you sick was uncomfortable at the prospect of entering a building probably filled with armed man that wouldn't hesitate to shoot you if they caught a glimpse of you, it would be nothing compared to the body-wrecking guilt you would feel if Vash got hurt because he had gone in blind in there.

Standing up from behind the massive crates the three of you were hiding behind, you went to make your way to the impressive metallic building barely a few yards from where you stood.

'Luck, wait,' your ears caught Vash's whisper next to you and sparks ran up your arm from where he grabbed your wrist.

You turned just in time to meet his face up to yours and, in the next instant, a small electric current spread from your lips where he placed a soft kiss. Blinking a couple of times to regain your composure, you unwillingly furrowed your brows at the blond man's actions.

'If anything happens, just call out to me,' he gestured to his temple, 'I should be able to hear you...just please be safe.'

The intensity of his stare and the deep concern in his blue eyes made your chest sting; did he really care for you that much? You refused to let yourself be submerged by hopes and emotions, deciding to simply give the man a small smile and nod before leaving. Now was not the time to let your conviction or concentration waver because of your heart.

Taking fast strides towards the structure halfway built into the remnants of a ship wreckage, you kept glancing around you in search of lookouts. But it seemed the site was really empty, or at least appeared that way for now. You had been quite surprised to find out that this so-called Gazelle the Peacemaker had made his temporary base near the town's second plant, a little further on the outskirts of the city. The site was quite large, a significant portion of a ship having once crashed here before sand reclaimed it.

As you approached the entrance to what you guessed had once been a first settlement of survivors of the Great Fall, you slowed your pace. There was no door, a crude opening in a thick and burned metal wall serving as the entrance. You stopped a few steps form it, ears perked in hopes to hear anything since the moonlight didn't reach far inside the opening, leaving you unable to see anything that could possibly be hiding inside the dark void.

Holding your breath, stepping ever so lightly and carefully, you entered the building. It took a minute for your eyes to adjust to the darkness, a long terrifying minute where your heart pumped so loud you feared someone might hear it. However, when you were finally able to perceive a long hallway stretching in front of you and you didn't see or sense anyone, you exhaled a sigh of relief.

You started making your way down the cold metallic hallway, occasionally stopping to try and hear anything or anyone. It was only when you reached the end of it and it split in two directions that you started picking up sounds. Turning the right corner, you jumped a little, a man in protective gear waiting right past it startling you.