Rule One: Broken

Confused, and forgetting about the remaining blush on your cheeks, you stood up to see what had saved you from the musical sin you were enduring until then. It was only then that you noticed the lights had gone off too. In fact, it seemed there was a power outage, all electrical appliances having turned off.

You exchanged a worried look with Vash. The saloon's customers also started exchanging looks and wondering what could have happened.

After getting over the initial shock, you stood up and started heading for the exit. It was not long after that the blond man was on your heels as you fast walked in the dusty streets in direction of the town's plant.

'Is your plant ok? Does that happen often?', he asked in serious tone.

'No, this is the first time- from what I know,' you replied between two breaths, biting your inner lip in worry. 'The plant's been fine, she was fine just last night,' you whispered, more to yourself than to Vash.

As you both approached the ship's remains you started hearing loud arguing before you could even see anyone. You were practically jogging by the time you turned a corner to the full view of the main entrance to the plant's site. A rowdy crowd had assembled at the gates, barely held back by the sheriff and his subordinate.

'Let us in! We'll take care of that bastard!' a man shouted angrily, branding a gun.

'Get out the way Sheriff! Harry's good as dead once we get to him!' yelled another, earning supporting cries from the crowd.

The sheriff held his hands up, seemingly trying to reason but you couldn't make out what he was saying over the townspeople outrage.

'Hey! What's going on?' you asked urgently a man in the back of the crowd where you had made you way. He didn't spare a glance your way.

'What's happening?' you heard Vash speak from right behind you. The man finally turned around to look at the tall blond that had accosted him. You clenched your fist, upset over forgetting about your condition in your panic but also thankful you had someone to help you communicate for once.

'That good-for-nothing Harry's taken the plant as hostage! Was supposed to steal it, but his shit-bag friends ditched him when they got caught. Now he's threatening to shoot up the plant if we don't give him crazy money!' explained the older man with rage coated words.

You felt your stomach sink to your ankles and blood drain from your face. The plant? He's going for the plant? Harry? Why? For Money? Could it be for debts? Was he that much in debt? Could it be...because of you? Because you exposed him as a cheater? Was this all your fault? Oh lord, oh lord, was the town gonna die because of you? Did you doom all these people?

'Hey, hey!' you heard someone shouting before feeling a burning heat on your left shoulder. You blinked as you zoned back in to reality. Vash was kneeling in front of you as it seemed your legs had given out.

'Look at me, hey. What's wrong? Can you hear me?' he pressed, trying to get your eyes to refocus on him. His face was painted in worry. You wanted to apologize but before you could the burning heat flared up in your shoulder.

You hissed at the sensation, instinctively raising your right hand to cover the pained area. However, as you did, it bumped into Vash's own hand that was grasping at your shoulder. He retreated his arm when he saw you groan, now holding both your shoulder and your hand where he had made contact with you.

'I'm sorry,' he gently but urgently started, 'are you ok? I know this isn't a good time to ask, but can you tell me if there's another way inside the ship's site?'

Your mind was all over the place, not knowing what to give its attention to first; everything happening all at once . But the stress-filled pleading man in front of you that was blatantly disregarding the first rule you had explained to him not an hour ago and making a whole scene in front of multiple people was what your fried brain decided to focus on.

You took in a deep breath, as if you had resurfaced back into reality. 'Yes, yes, there is,' you informed Vash in a mumble as you stood back up, 'follow me!'

He didn't hesitate and ran with you. You guided him towards one of the alleys coming in from the south of the town instead of the east where the main entrance was. He didn't even seem out of breath as you showed him a hole in a wall made of a huge piece of metal scrap that once was a ship's outer layer.

'We just gotta find something to get rid of the grid,' you explained crouching near the uneven hole patched with a metal wire fencing, standing out in the otherwise thick and even metal wall.

Vash simply nodded as he placed his right foot on the metal wall and gripped the grid with his left hand. In a swift movement the fence was thorn away, without even showing any sign of resistance.

You stared at the now open entrance in awe: what in the hell was that man made of to be ripping welded mental fences away like they were band-aids?

'Ok. Where now?' Vash asked turning around, his body already half-way through the hole.