"This sounds like King Zehtt Greak's wives to me, Zeth," Draco whispered in a faint sarcastic melody.

"Shut it!" Zeth ordered. "Frank, Finn, Draco... If these two fight, stand between them."

Jade didn't say anything as they made their way up the stairs.

The whole thing was strangely comforting.

No small talk meant saving her breath, and that was good.

Not everyone made it to the last step breathing normally, but she did.

Everett was proud of her.

"I am nervous," Jade whispered as they walked through a dark hallway with wide arches that overlooked a fountain below. Everett turned around and put his hand on her shoulder to reassure her.

"Don't be." Everett told her. She stared at him as if she expected something from him. Was he supposed to say something else? "Move, you look tired and dishevelled," Everett said, and avoided her gaze.

"Why are you so cold and distant?" she asked, and the question made him widen his eyes.

Was he being cold and distant?

But... How?

Her words hit him right in the chest.

"Because I don't understand people," Everett replied.

"I don't either," she blushed and lowered her head, “So, where will I sleep?”

"You can stay in my room," Everett whispered.

Jade nodded.

"I promise not to make a mess."

"She'll stay in my room," Zeth said, opening another door, "It's already decided and everyone shuts the fuck up."

They walked down another long corridor, and on the walls hung swords and shields.

"This place is huge," Jade said.

"It is not. It’s quite small in fact. House Betancourt's castle was much larger," Zeth said, "The second largest of Evalon after the Titan. It is said that it took Countess Alycandra Betancourt half an hour to get from the library of The Full Moon to her bedchamber."

"Don't you guys ever get lost here?" Jade asked and yawned.

"We can always find our way home. This way," Zeth said, turning right, entering another long, dark hallway.

"Why is this place so big?" Jade asked as Zeth opened another wooden door.

"Well, humans usually live in buildings with lots of apartments for each family. Essentially, this place is the exact same thing," Frank explained, extending his bionic hand.

At the end of this dark hallway, Zeth opened a door to the left.

"After you, Jade," he said.

An infinitely long staircase appeared before them, and she started to walk up into an equally infinite darkness.

She feared the unknown.

The uncertainty.

But ignorance was scarier.

She was tempted to ask Zeth if there was any other way up, like an elevator, but she knew old castles didn't have elevators so she didn't ask.

"What are we going to do with Anton and his dogs? And Kevin?" Alex asked, "The guy looks pretty sure he's going to win us over in popularity."

"It seems to me that Anton is an airhead, his mother's puppet," Zeth said, "Just like King Anuber was to Queen Basterina ‘the Puppeteer’ Rahman."

"I will never understand why King Ozyrez ‘The Arrowhead’ Rahman chose Prince Anuber as his heir knowing that Commander Heruz was a better candidate," Draco said, "Perhaps the Clash of the Rahmans would never have happened if... Oh! He chose Anuber because he was a puppet and Heruz was not! So far I understand it!"

"Let's be honest.” Zeth rolled his eyes. “Heruz ‘The Giant’ Rahman would not have listened to his mother and the Clash of the Rahmans, although it would not have been avoided, perhaps would have been solved with a Death Match."

"I like solving problems with Death Match," Everett said, "I always win."

"That's clear to us... Big guy," Frank said, and it seemed that he was already out of breath from walking up this long staircase, "Although I'm also afraid... To ask how many... You have won so... Please don't tell me."

"It doesn't matter. I've lost count at this point," Everett replied.

"Guys, I don't want to interrupt," Jade raised her hand, "But I need to sleep. Will it take long to arrive?"

"If you want to stay here, there are rules you must follow," Zeth said, walking up faster than the other guys.

"What kind of rules?" Jade asked. She was already dizzy from walking up so many stone steps.

"First... You can't tell anyone about this place," Alex chuckled. "Which is obvious!"

"Why would I?" Jade whispered.

At the top of the stairway, Zeth stood in front of a giant set of double doors.

"Are we there yet?" Jade asked.

All men laughed.

"Oh... Sure!" Zeth giggled and opened the doors.

Another infinite, dark staircase appeared.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" she yelled, her voice echoing, "I'm dying of sleep, and you guys brought me here to do cardio?!"

Up the endless stairs they went.

"Second rule..." Zeth began talking again, smelling like roses while Jade struggled to breathe, like an asthmatic dragon.

"Hold up." Jade took out her phone, "I will tell Henry... Hey!" Draco grabbed it and threw it far, far away. The sound of it breaking infuriated Jade. She took a deep breath and counted to ten. When she was calm, she turned back towards Draco, who looked at her, grinning again like the cat that ate the canary.

"Second rule. No social media, no cell phones," Zeth said, "Not until I get you one that cannot be tracked. Don't worry, we'll tell your dad you're here. We have his number."

"Fine!" she grunted, her hair now looking like a bird's nest from all the stairs she'd walked up today, "Can I go to sleep now?! And what about you? Do any of you even sleep?!"

"Sleep?" Zeth made a trumpeting sound with his mouth, "What's that? I haven't slept since my heart was ripped out and my body was wrapped in bandages!"

"I alternate which half of my brain is sleeping periodically so that I can get the rest I need without ever losing consciousness," Finn explained, "I didn't know I was a monster until I met Zeth and Draco, that's when I understood my constant insomnia."

"I only sleep on the night of the new moon," Alex explained.

"And I have a backup battery under my back plates," Frank said, "But please don't ask how it works."

"We Yeti only sleep once a month," Everett said, "Our hearts are slow, our age is mirage... Time is mirage... Life is mirage. We all die in the end."

The five boys and Jade fell silent, watching Everett with his gaze lost in infinity.

"That explains a lot," Jade whispered, well aware now why Everett always seemed absent.

"I've not slept in thousands of years," Draco said with piercing eyes and trembling hands, his dark circles more obvious under the light of the torches on the walls, "I don't need any beauty sleep to stay as cool as a daisy. I'm like a beautiful dream of spring." Then he closed his eyes, cutely patting his cheeks.

"It's just that you're in denial," Alex said, pointing ahead, "Let's keep going, there's still a long way to go."