Chapter 33 - The Truth (Part 2)

(3rd person POV, any italic words are flashbacks from 2 years ago)

(⚠️READ WITH CAUTION!⚠️ There may be potential mentions of child abuse. It's not directly there, but if you read closely, you might see it.)

"Michael 3GS didn't come back after that, did he?"

Matt was the first to break the silence after Michael 4 had finished retelling his memory. 

"...No, he didn't. I waited at our usual spot day after day, hoping that he would come back, but he never did. I couldn't ask anyone to help me find him because frankly, no one knew him. I looked all over the school, but since 3GS never talked much about what classes he took, I didn't have any leads to find him. Then, one day while I was about to leave for the day..."

Michael 4 sighed to himself as he roamed the halls of his middle school. He had just been dismissed from his final class of the day, but all he felt at the moment was despair. 

He'd tried everything he could for the past few days to find Michael 3GS however he could, but his seeking led him nowhere. 4 was on the verge of losing hope, and he didn't know what else he could do for Michael 3GS at this point. 

As he continued walking deeper into the halls, Michael 4 caught sight of a shiny, metal door with the Meeple logo and a keypad on the right side of the wall. 4 tensed when he also saw Principal Cobs type in some numbers into said keypad before he heard a click from the door and left. Once the principal was far gone, Michael 4 approached the metal door, curious about what it held. 

Michael 4 had seen the numbers that Cobs had pressed on the keypad and knew what order to put them in. So, he typed in the passcode and heard a click as the door opened for him. When he stepped inside, 4 took in the dusty, dreary, and dark atmosphere of the room, as it was lined with two metal shelves on the left and right side of the room, both of them being filled with many boxes and old mechanics. 

Deep down, Michael 4 knew that he could get in trouble for being somewhere he wasn't supposed to, but he was too interested to stop now. He searched through the boxes that were already open and observed the equipment and machines inside with great curiosity. 

Continuing to look around, Michael 4 caught notice of a package at the top of the left shelf that seemed newer than the rest and reached for it as best as he could. Eventually, he grasped it and brought it down to his level, examining it from top to bottom. 

Fiddling with the corner of the package, Michael 4 punctured it too hard and created a tear, his action causing him to drop it in surprise. Upon doing so, Michael 4 noticed a glimmer of grey from inside the package and decided to take a look at what this package contained. 

Michael 4 slowly tore the sides of the package with care as he kept his eyes on the device inside, which became more familiar as he did so. By the time the package was fully open, 4 saw that inside the package were Michael 3GS' busted, grey headphones. 

When he realized this, confusion was Michael 4's first emotion as he observed the headphones in his hands. "Why are 3GS' headphones here and still broken? I thought he was going to go and get them fixed. Unless...He was going to Principal Cobs to fix them! Ooh, that makes more sense since he's smart with things like this. But if 3GS was counting on Principal Cobs to help him, why would he keep it here instead?"

As he was thinking this thought, Michael 4 also recalled a moment when Michael 4s had said something to him when they had first encountered each other after 4s had explained all his newer updates to him: 

"You're too old. You must be terminated."

"But I'm only a few years old, and I have cool prizes."