Chapter 24 - A Stroke of Luck

(3rd person POV) 

Timothy tapped his pencil on his desk as his teacher finished up her lecture on why transition words are important when writing an essay. Language was Timothy's last class for the day, and he was waiting for the bell to ring so that he could carry out his plan to talk with Principal Cobs about whether he was allowed to visit and take an item from the storage room or not. 

At the moment, Timothy was thinking about what he would say to his principal once he went to his office at the end of his Language class. In his thoughts, he recited a few lines that he liked which sounded polite and not demanding. 

"Mr. Cobs, as you recall, I asked a few questions about the storage room with your company logo some time ago. I came here to ask if I'm allowed to look inside. That is, with your permission, of course."

"Mr. Cobs, after thinking about our conversation from long ago, I thought that I should ask you if you would allow me to - " 

The Language teacher clapped sharply, snapping Timothy out of his thoughts. "Keep in mind everything I've taught you today on transition words when writing your essay due on Wednesday. Other than that, have a good Monday." 

As if on cue, the bell rang, indicating the end of class and the school day. A few students groaned upon hearing about their homework, but Timothy didn't find himself bothered by the assignment. While everyone was getting up to pack their items, Timothy noticed Michelle 5C at the back of the classroom texting as she got up with her bag and left with the rest of the students. 

Ever since the new Meeple trio had first made their entrance to Inanimate Insanity High, it seemed to him as though they could get off the hook for almost anything they did that went against the rules. If they were late, all that was given from a teacher was a warning, even if they had been late multiple times. If, for this instance, one Meeple had been texting during class, the teachers either ignored it or hadn't noticed. 

Timothy wondered if these exceptions were because the trio was Meeples, meaning that they had their connections with Principal Cobs himself. Remembering his task at hand, he left the classroom and headed toward where Principal Cob's office would be.  Once there, Timothy could see from a small window that Cobs was busy with a phone call, so he waited on a chair nearby until his principal was finished. 

When Timothy heard the sound of a phone click off, he got up and knocked on the door. Remember, Timothy thought, be polite but stand your ground. Cobs allowed him access with a "Come in", and Timothy entered inside as Cobs tidied his desk. 

Upon noticing Timothy, Cobs wore a surprised expression for a brief moment before returning to his neutral expression. "Timothy, I didn't expect to see you here. At least, not after some time later. So, what brings you here?" 

"Well, sir.." Timothy started, searching for the dialogue he had mentally practiced during his Language class. "I remembered our previous conversation, where I asked a few questions about the storage room with your company logo some time ago."

"Ah yes, I do recall that," Cobs replied, his face appearing grim. Despite his principal's reaction, Timothy continued. 

"Well, I'm planning to get some hands-on experience with mechanisms to explore possible career paths. However, I thought back to our conversation, when you mentioned that your storage room has lots of old Meeple technology." Cobs nodded to show that he was listening, his expression staying the same. 

"So, I was thinking: What if you allowed me to take something from your storage room for me to try and mend it back? If you'd like, I can return it to you once I'm finished with it."  

Cobs stayed silent for what seemed like an eternity until he spoke up. "...If we assume for a moment that I allow you to take something from my storage room, what exactly would you take?" 

Timothy thought carefully for a moment before responding. "Well sir, I'm not sure. I'd have to look inside before making a final decision." 

"...Alright. I'll think about allowing you to take something from my storage room before getting back to you. Understood?"

Timothy nodded. Despite the "maybe" Cobs had given him, it was quite clear his principal wanted him and the storage room to be as far away from each other as possible. For one, the way Cobs had said possessive words like "my" before saying the word "storage room" was unsettling enough.  

There was also the tone in his voice that, regardless of its normality, seemed like a front to hide something far more threatening. Whatever the reason, Timothy knew that Cobs wasn't going to give him access to the storage room anytime soon. 

"Also, before you leave, tie your shoes first," Cobs told him, gesturing to Timothy's sneakers. Embarrassed, Timothy knelt and began to tie his laces. By doing so, Timothy was low enough to see the items on his principal's desk, like a stapler and some pens in a neat line. One of the items Timothy noticed on the desk was a curly sticky note on the edge of the desk, just about to fall off. 

Timothy watched as the curly sticky note gracefully twirled to the ground at his feet. What he saw written on it in black pen ink would have made him gasp if he was alone: 

𝗦𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗥𝗼𝗼𝗺 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘀𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗱: 𝟲𝟯𝟱𝟮

(A/N: This password was something I came up with in 0.5 seconds, it's not the canon password to the storage room back at Meeple Headquarters if anyone's asking)

Somewhat amazed, Timothy burned the set of numbers into his head as he continued to tie his shoes to avoid suspicion. Cobs hadn't noticed that the sticky note fell since he was more focused on whatever was on his laptop screen. For a moment, Timothy wondered if he should take the sticky note with him. "Then again, if I do, I could end up making noise and Cobs could notice. I'm probably better off memorizing it."

Once he was sure that the set of numbers was in his long-term memory, Timothy stood up, bid his goodbye, and left Cobs' office nonchalantly. 

Sincerely, Creative Stream