Chapter 18 - Looking Back

(3rd Person POV)

The students of Inanimate Insanity high poured out the school doors as the bell rang, indicating that the long weekend had started. Most of them were chatting with each other about what they were planning to do on the long weekend. 

"Honestly? I'm going to try out the new console I got on Tuesday. Wanna come?" Peter asks, walking alongside Kevin. 

"Sure, but shouldn't we be focusing on our homework?" 

Peter paused. "I guess we could do it at my place," he begrudgingly replied as they both walked onto the sidewalk. 

"Stella, are we still going to the mall this afternoon or not?" Paulina asked as Stella walked out of the school. 

"Of course we are! By the way, you just reminded me of a 50% off sale on shoes I wanted to show you. I just know you'll love it!" Stella replied, the two walking alongside each other as she started to pull out her phone. 

Timothy, however, wasn't in the mood to celebrate the weekend. The entire day, he couldn't stop reminding himself about what Michael X last said to him whenever his mind was empty. Fortunately, he hadn't seen X at all since he last threatened him. 

By now, Timothy had memorized the way to and from school from the Orange Hotel, so he wasted no time in walking back. 

As the chatter from the school entrance became quieter, Timothy remembered that it usually took about five to ten minutes to come to school and back from the current pathway he was using, depending on whether he was running or walking. 

For a moment, Timothy considered riding a bike to school to get there faster, but dropped it when he realized that he had sold his bike off mid-summer.

In due time, Timothy was at the door of his room, holding his keys to get in. Once he did, he went to his room and collapsed on his bed. "Other than homework, I don't have much to do, so I might as well get started." 

With the thought in mind, he got up and got to work. 

By the time he got through half of all his work, Matt came inside with something in his hand. 

"Oh, hey Matt! How come I didn't see you when school ended?" Timothy inquired, putting his work down to help Matt. 

"After high school had ended for today, I had to make a stop at the convenience store, as I needed some white-out. I acquired some extra for you as well." Matt responded, opening his hand to reveal two white-out pens in his palm. 

"Oh, thank you! You didn't have to do all that," Timothy acknowledged as he took a white-out pen from Matt's hand. It was warm, undoubtedly from Matt holding it for so long. "How should I repay you?" 

"There is no need. It is the least I could do for you, considering that you have been a proper roommate to me." Matt answered, retreating to his side of the room. "Perhaps in 15 minutes or so, we could continue our puzzle from yesterday?" He asks, turning around and gesturing to the tray they left out with completed puzzle parts. 

"Sounds like a plan." 

They then both retreated to their rooms, and Timothy got back to his work. As he did so, the memory of his encounter with Michael X kept trying to arise, but Timothy wouldn't let it. 

~

Timothy stretched his arms, laying back in his chair. He had finished what he needed to about thirty minutes ago, and boredom was starting to overtake him. Matt wasn't finished his work yet, as he had wanted to put extra effort into an assignment he was doing.