Mountain - The Math Test

So I was homeschooled my whole life so... just pretend you know what I'm talking about😃

~

You sat in the library, staring at the math test on the screen of your laptop. You shifted slightly on the wooden chair, trying to put the algebra question together in your head, but nothing came. Your leg bounced as you were lost deep in thought, frustration boiling in your gut. You were never good with math and this was just making it worse. A sound jarred you out of your thoughts and you turned your head slightly, watching the large earth ghoul step inside the library. It was no surprise to see him in here, but the big ghoul was quite intimidating, therefore you hardly ever was near him, much less talked to him. He seemed as if he was approaching your table but instead he flashed you a toothy smile, his sharp, white fangs glistening in the light before he walked past you, disappearing into an isle of books. You let out a small sigh, relaxing your shoulders as you looked back to the algebra question.

Five minutes later you heard the ghoul walking back. You were still on the same question. He walked towards you again, this time stopping behind you, making your eyes widened as you stared at your screen.

"Do you need help? I couldn't help but notice but... you were on this same question when I came in." His voice spoke softly behind you. You slowly turned in your chair to look up at him. He wore a soft, kind smile and his green eyes twinkled.

"W-Well, yea." You admitted with a nod.

"I can help you if you like. Math is one of my gifted talents. Especially algebra." He grinned. You nodded and he instantly pulled up a chair and rested beside you.

"This one is fairly easy, but it gets you thinking. Which if you think too hard about it, that's when you get confused and then get frustrated and then want to start chucking things. That's what algebra is made to do... well not the frustrated and chucking things part but you know." He shrugs. You sighed with a nod.

"Yea, chucking my laptop does sound like a good solution to this." You mumbled.

"Yea, but it doesn't solve in and then guess what, you fail the test. So start by not thinking to hard about it. It might seem like to have to, but you really don't." He said cheerfully. "And if you can't get it, I'll just tell you the answer." He nodded. You look back to the question, biting your lip as you lightly thought about it.

"... x 32?" You ask quietly.

"Not quite. It's x 35." He said. You quickly typed in the answer and moved to the next one.

"This one shouldn't be that hard." He said with a nod.

"The answer is x." You say, looking back to him. He nods. You quickly type in the answer.

"Don't you have a math tutor or something?" He says as you work on solving another question. You shake your head.

"No. My parents can't afford one." You sigh.

"Well, how about every Monday we meet up here and I can give you a tutoring lesson?" Mountain suggests with a smile.

"You'd do that?" You sit back with a small smile.

"Sure. Free of charge. Unless you really do want to pay for it. Then if that's the case, I can always use some help in the green houses." He nods.

"Alright. You have a deal." You nod excitedly. Mountain let's out a small chuckle.

"Alright kid. Think you got the rest on your own?" He asks.

"Yea. Just was really that one problem." You shrug.

"Alright. I'll see you later." He chuckles as he stands up and gives your shoulder a small pat. You wave bye and turn back to the laptop, a smile on your face. You could definitely warm up to the not-so-scary earth ghoul now.