Joy, Boarding school for boys! Chapter 10

“So do you and Ethan have a thing,” Brittany asked the next day as I showed them around campus.

I looked at her confused, “No… why?”

“I heard you two talking last night!”

“Someone care to explain,” Sam asked obviously confused still.

“Ashley and Ethan had this huge heart to heart last night, it was soooo cute!” Without having to be asked by Sam she launched into a recap of last night.

“You guys so have a thing,” Sam decided the second Brittany was done talking. “And even if you don’t think you do it’s obvious that boy likes you. Though I can’t believe you didn’t wake me up so I could have heard this myself!”
“Because the two of them thought I was asleep! I highly doubt they would have continued a conversation like that if they thought we were listening in on them.”

“True.” Sam looked over at me, “If you don’t take that boy believe I will- he is one fine piece of work!”
“Sam,” I laughed. “Ethan is my roommate; I am in no way hooking up with him regardless of good looking he is!”
“So you admit he’s good looking?”
“Well yeah, he’s just not my type is all.” The girls simply snorted at me in response. “Thanks for all of your support.”
“You’re welcome,” Brittany grinned.

***

“You have some odd friends,” Austin commented as I set the table for supper later that night as Brittany and Sam made supper.

“You get used to them after a while,” I shrug. “Besides I don’t know where I would be without them.”
“Here?”
“Maybe.”
Austin raised an eyebrow, “Care to elaborate? “
“I’ll tell you some other time; it’s just not the right time yet.”

“Well let me know when it is okay?” I nodded in response.

“You love me!”
“No I don’t!”
“Stop lying!”
“I don’t lie, that’s you!”
I shared a quick look with Austin before we jogged into the kitchen to see the girls throwing flour at each other. “What are you to doing,” I demanded.

“We kind of decided to have a food fight,” Brittany answered meekly.

“Well it was more so flour,” Sam piped in.

“You two are hopeless,” I sighed. “Go shower and get changed but I swear if you make a mess of my room or bathroom I will beat you with a spoon!”
“She means it,” Brittany whispered to Austin as her and Sam walked past us.

“I’ll order pizza,” He said whipping out his phone. Austin slipped out of the room to order supper as I started cleaning up the mess. “I think you should just make them clean it up.”
“If I made them clean it up this would look clean, believe me. I don’t know why I even let them make dinner- or at least attempt to.”
“You obviously forgot,” He shrugged.

“That’s for sure,” I laughed. “I hate to do this to you but can you help me?”
“Sure,” Austin replied grabbing a rag from the sink and started on the counter as I grabbed the mop.

It took us about twenty or so minutes to clean everything up and during that we simply teased each other about little things such as why I was so short or why he had an accent. It was days like these that I missed the most, I felt like I wasn’t judged about the fact that I had a kid or anything like that. I could just be myself and let loose.

“I forgot what it was like to just joke around with a guy without someone calling me a slut,” I admitted.

“I forgot what it was like to hang out with a girl like this, it’s definitely nice though.” I smiled up at Austin.

“Can we have a movie night?”
“What do you want to watch?”
“The Lorax,” I decided after thinking about what movies I had in my room. “I haven’t seen it yet.”
“Sounds good to me,” Austin shrugged. “I’ll go get everyone ready, where do you want to have it?”
“My room,” I said over my shoulder as I dug out the popcorn maker. I could hear Austin tell people what we were doing as I sang quietly under my breath.

I had always loved singing but I never planned to make a career out of it, before I was pregnant I had a few gigs just to make money even though my mom would have paid for everything. The idea of paying for my own stuff sometimes made me feel better about myself instead of just having my mom’s credit card in my hand so I could get whatever I wanted at the time.

“You know, I still think you should try take it big,” Brittany said walking into the kitchen.

“I love singing but it isn’t what I want to do in life.”
“What do you want to do in life,” She asked hopping up onto the counter.

“I’m not sure yet,” I admitted. “I want to make a difference though, a really big one.”
Brittany smiled at me, “You already have.”