3| Log 001 Pt. 3

In situations like this, all alone in a dark office with mysterious loud noises coming from the floor below which is home to a very important technology, you do not take the recently unreliable elevator. So, obviously, I went straight to the stairs. My footsteps sounded loud in the hollow stairwell and I listened closely only to find the other pair I heard was simply my echo. The hallway was clear as well, dark with only the emergency overhead lights on. The cleaning crew would have finished an hour ago, so the next possibility was that someone on the TTD Team did not heed my words. Of course, there were other possibilities, but who wants to suspect the most negative first?

The motion sensor lights of the lab were off, but it was worth checking because anyone could have left since the thud noise. I scanned myself in and was baffled and stunned to see a thick cloud of black smoke—chaos energy—in the center of the device's platform.

A plexiglass door, not there earlier that day, had been attached to half of the platform, and another half door was leaning up against panels at the machine's side.

I checked my surroundings again before moving closer to examine the cloud. It was identical to volatile chaos energy, the fog found in places of abnormal, sometimes supernatural events or sightings. The Institute had an entire department dedicated to repairing those areas and restoring order, many with eyesight excellent enough to visualize volatile energy as that dark fog. But why was this energy in the center of the Timeline Travel Device? My mind ran wild with possibilities.

The possibility of someone or something having come in, of someone having gone out... I wondered if I should inform the Chaos Repair Department Manager, then raised my hand, considering repairing the chaos myself. But was it really spontaneous volatile chaos? Or was this part of the machine's functioning? Was it the second door that fell and caused the thud? Or was it something else?

I stepped forward to examine whether there was any sign of broken hinges or relics of travel in hidden areas. But before I could get a good look, I tripped over the corner of the detached door and fell forwards towards the steel platform.

Only a literal blink later, the filtered office air I inhaled became city street air and my body was headed for concrete. The abrupt change in my environment froze my reflexes and my teeth clacked as I landed chin-first on the pavement in front of a pair of white sneakers. And then my head was doused in iced cocoa.

So, you see, there are many people who could have held ill intent towards me and set this into motion. Or, it could indeed be all an ill-fated accident.

This was my conclusion as I sat in a laundromat shirtless with my pantless savior at my side—both of us watching our clothes in the drier tossing and spinning in circles.

We were both in a daze—me because after noticing the unfamiliar coins they placed in the machine, I confirmed I was no longer in my own world; and them because after watching my horrified, confused face upon examining the coins, they confirmed I was completely abnormal.

My apologies to the reader; I'm realizing it was misguided to skip some minor details, so let me back up to the moment my chin hit the ground.

I am only thankful that the person I landed in front of was drinking something iced and not steaming hot. The scent of chocolate filled my nose as I remained still in utter shock. The white sneakers didn't move and the world behind them continued as if nothing had changed. Cars drove down the distant road, shop bells rang as their doors were opened, voices chatted. Other people walked by, some of the closer feet slowing for a microsecond likely in fleeting curiosity before continuing on.

There was only darkness at my sides, so I gathered I was right at the entrance of an alley. I was fully aware that I had just been transported after falling into the Timeline Travel Device, but my brain stopped there as if it did not dare compute any further.

Finally, a voice came from above the shoes: "S-sorry." They bent down and thin legs clad in jeans came into view as a wheat-coloured hand reached out. "I really thought I was hallucinating for a moment."

I twitched a finger to see that I could still move then lifted my arm. The skinny person grabbed it, then my other arm as they attempted to help me stand.

"Shit," they groaned as they strained to bear my weight. A white-blonde ponytail swung down in front of a bomber jacket.

Now upright on my knees, after having done most of the work, I waved my hand to indicate I'd get on my feet myself.

My hands stung, my chest felt heavy, and my mouth tasted metallic. I placed one foot on the pavement, gathering my strength to stand, and opened my aching jaw to thank them.

Instead, I involuntarily coughed out a mouth full of blood onto my shirt and splattered onto their pants.

So two people sat—one unclothed up top, the other on bottom—silently bonding over their shared befuddlement. And perhaps partial nudity, though that feels weird to say.

As someone exited the laundromat with their baskets, the stranger and I were left alone.

They opened their mouth first. "So, let me ask you a few questions. Is that alright?"

"Yes." I still hadn't decided on which questions were safe to ask them.

"Uh, let's start off... Do you know your name?"

"Yes, I don't have amnesia. It's Malik." I stopped, considering if this person was involved in a scheme against me, but decided I was just being paranoid. "Noble Malik."

"Hi, Malik. I'm Darcy."

I dipped my head in greeting before noticing their hand was held out, so I shook it. Then I examined their face. Close set eyes and a long nose bridge, angular lips curved into a forced smile. Unfamiliar. I inadvertently let out a sigh.

"Malik, did you jump from the building?"

I was flabbergasted they'd come to that conclusion. "Were the buildings that low?" My injuries weren't severe enough to indicate I'd fallen from any height greater than six feet.

It was Darcy's turn to sigh. "I swear to god you came out of nowhere."

I was probably wearing a very sad look at that moment.

"Look," they said, fidgeting with the hem of their boxers. "I know this might sound wild, but... do you have a coin fetish?"

It was at that moment that I knew Darcy was someone I could completely trust. I burst into laughter, wheezing so hard my chest ached again. I couldn't remember the last time I had laughed like that; admittedly it felt quite nice.

"So then you really aren't from this world. Shit."

I lifted my head from where it was rolled back on the chair and saw Darcy with their hands covering their face; my laughter came to an abrupt halt.