Chapter Forty Six

Picture: Nicholas II with OTMA, 1914.

November 1914
"Happy birthday Astrid!" Mila exclaimed while opening the curtains to reveal the beaming sun light. I hissed like a vampire and with my eyes shut i covered my face with my blanket. "If it's my birthday, then I should be able to sleep in for God's sake." I bitterly muttered. Mila sighed. "There is no time for that, Astrid Nikolaevna, and you know that! Many people wish to see you today! And also, you are officially 16 today!" Mila giggled. I shot out of bed, I was 16. I ran to the mirror, I was 16, I came here first when I was 14 or 13. I get to put my hair up today!

I looked sadly at myself, I imagined Liesel putting my hair up for the first time, I imagined Heinz and Margo to be here. I did my hair leaving it down, as I knew it would be done up at the official ceremony, if there was even going to be one. I got dressed into a white long sleeved dress. We were staying at Crimea for the purpose of Olenka's birthday and mine. Her celebration had already occurred and now it was my turn. The only thing that was different was that I was having a ball thrown for me. None of our German relatives were going to be there, our Russian and British ones will be there.

I was not very excited because Edward was going to be there, the very man that Maria wrote letters to, thinking it was me. I got out of my room cranky, usually I got up around 6:00, it was 5:30. "Happy birthday Astrid!" Cian and Caoimhe exclaimed, they were waiting for me this whole time. They passed me a box, inside was three things, one was a red and green bracelet, the other was a Ruby ring. And the last made my jaw drop, it was Heinrich's ring. I put all of them on. "Heinrich said you can have it." Cian nodded. We all walked together, well they were walking i was zombie walking. Everyone was there waiting for me. Cian sat down next to Tatiana with Caoimhe next to him. "Good morning everyone." I muttered taking the only empty seat between Olga and Maria. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASTRIDDD!!!!" Maria obnoxiously yelled out, wrapping her arms around me. "Thank you Maria." I said as I patted her head. She pulled away with a bright smile forming. Alexei looked like he was about to explode. Cian was whispering to Caoimhe. "Alexei, what is wrong with you?" I asked suspiciously.

"Ohh Mama! When are we going to tell her? I can't take it anymoreeeeee!" Alexei cried out of with a red face. "I would prefer to give it to her after breakfast." Mama said with a tint of excitement in her voice. "Quickly! Let's all eat as quick as we can!" Alexei said as he stuffed his face. I sat there, confused. "What the f.. what is going on?"

"It's a surprise!" Tatiana giggled. I sat there eating my breakfast slowly. I am not a big fan surprises, like this necklace around my neck that I found before I ended up here. Once we finished breakfast, Papa and Cian stood up. Papa left the room for a second and Cian covered his hands over my eyes, I couldn't see anything. I trusted the surprise because Mama was a no nonsense kind of person and she supported this idea with excitement.

I felt something heavy sit on my lap, Cian took his hands away, it was a puppy, a small Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. It's tail wagged at the sight of me. I was taken back and so surprised, I had always wanted a dog. I was never allowed a dog. I felt everyone waiting for a reaction, i put my finger up to its black nose and let it sniff me. The puppy licked my finger after sniffing. The puppy's coat was a bright Ruby red color. "Do-Do you like him?" Alexei asked.

I looked up to my family and friends. Valentina winked at me. "I-I love him!" I cried out, petting the excited little puppy on my lap. The puppy rolled back onto its back and gave him a little belly rub. "Do you know what you will name this little puppy?" Tatiana asked me. I looked at the puppy, it's eyes reminded me of Heinrich's eyes. Both a bright icy blue that in the shadows and shade and night it looked dark and navy with tints of green and silver in them. "I think that I will call him Heinrich." I laughed as the puppy stuck his tongue out.

"Heinrich?" Maria asked, confused. "Heinrich like my- like a main character in a book I am currently reading." I explained to her, giving the puppy a belly rub. "Well I think it's a nice name." Cian said. "Not because my shitty uncle will name his son that, just a nice name." Cian supported me. "It's very unique." Vanya noticed. "Well it's established then! Welcome little Heinrich to the family!" Papa chuckled as he pet the silly dog. "Thank you so so much Papa! I've always wanted a little dog!" I beamed. "You are so very welcome my darling! Your mama helped as well. And Cian paid for it." Papa kissed the top of my head. I flashed Mama and Cian grateful smiles.

"Well girlies, Ci and Cao. I think it's best to do your homework since the ball is later tonight." Mama ordered. "Of course Mama! Let's go." Tatiana said. Before leaving, I gave mama and papa a kiss on the cheek and let Alexei pat little Heinz. We left the table with little Heinz in my arms.

After doing homework with OC(Cian)TMAC(Cian) and I decided to go outside with Cian, Caoimhe, Valentina and Zander to play with Heinrich and maybe even potty train him! I put on my winter coat, my comfortable boots, a scarf, a hat and gloves. After we all dressed up, Anna watched us with a few guards as we went outside in the snow. Show hasn't fallen yet but it was still very cold. The whole time, Heinz ran after me and nearly got stepped on constantly until I took him in my arms as we got to the courtyard. I placed him down carefully next to Jimmy, Anastasia's dog. I watched as the two dogs started to greet each other by sniffing their bottoms obnoxiously.

"Well, aren't you glad-" Olga began to say with Cian and Zander with us. I ignored the rest because in front of me, standing in the exact same spot stood the evil Angel. It's mouth wasn't opened yet but it was staring at me although it had no eye sockets. The surroundings around me went black, I was standing in a pit of darkness with the evil Angel.

It pointed at me and the ear piercing screeching sound filled my ears and filled the space around us. I squeezed my eyes shut and covered my ears, I was muttering "Go away, Go away." The whole time. I continued muttering it.

***
I opened my eyes again to find myself in a bright white room. There stood the good Angel and the evil Angel, standing side by side. Behind them was a large wooden door. "Hello Again, Astrid." The Good one greeted me, something seemed off. I stayed silent. "You must be wondering why you are here?"  The good one predicted. I nodded my head to him it, I was shaking in fear though.

"Happy sixteenth birthday! As the law of fate requires, fuck the fates, you now have a choice. You can go back to the future and continue your old life in Germany, or you can stay here and save your new family." The good Angel explained. I froze. "I..I can go back?" I whispered. "Through this door." The good Angel said. I have the option to be with them again. I looked down at my necklace and slowly began to find the place to take it off I could take it off. I was never able to do that before. What. The. Fuck?