Chapter Forty Five

PICTURE: "I took this picture of myself looking at the mirror. It was very hard as my hands were trembling." - exerpt from a letter written by Anastasia to her father on October 28, 1914

October 1014.
"I do." Malcolm said, keeping his gaze on me. I was standing next to Mila at the alter. My face was a brighter red than hers. Olga, Caoimhe and Cian are attending the wedding with me, Miss. Bitner (our governess) and some other ladies in waiting and a bunch of officers were attending too. They have already exchanged vows and the priest turned his head toward the crowd of people. "If there are any objections against this holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace!" The priest shouted dramatically. Mila looked out towards the small crowd containing her family. Supportive smiles and cheers of encouragement came her way instantly.

I looked over to Malcolm, one last time. Only to find his eyes already on me, did he honestly think I was going to object? I wasn't going to, that is not how it is going to work. Did he really think I was going to sacrifice myself again? Crazy Astya objected at friends wedding, oh wait there is an explanation of why she'd do it, because she's crazy! He got this lovely girl all the way from Romania, her home country and the place she grew up in, to here. That is cultural shock, like me with all these Russian traditions. Too used to German. I ripped my gaze off of him and looked at Cian instead, he and Olga were the best, they both took time off of work to come to this wedding with me. Mama said that Olga would be in attendance, representing herself and papà since they are very busy in the war effort.

Cian gave me a smile of support, I smiled back grateful for his support. I turned back to the priest, Mila and Malcolm. "By the power invested in me! I know pronounce you husband and wife!" The priest announced joyfully as the couple kissed and the church bells rang in celebration for the newly wed. By this point I could not hold back my tears, many other people started crying too. Theirs was out of joy, mine was not. I watched as they held hands, freshly put wedding bands on their fingers. Mila smiled so bright I am sure it would've blinded me if it were the sun.

As they turned to walk down the isle, Mila noticed me crying and put her hand on mine. "Oh Astrid." She exclaimed. "Don't cry, this is a happy moment." She thought I was crying out of joy when in reality my heart was full of sorrow and emptiness. I handed her the bouquet of flowers while trying to wipe away my tears. Cian noticed me first, he side eyed the newly weds, Olga noticed next, she had a protective face on, Cao noticed last and she glared at the couple when they weren't looking her way. The newly weds walked down the isle, hand in hand.

The small crowd of people followed as Olga, Cian and Caoimhe stayed sitting in their seats. None of them even stood up when she was walking the isle. I got off the steps of the alter and walked up to Olga already she was standing with her arms out to take me into her embrace. Cian and Caoimhe smiled at our sibling love. "It is best to go now, Olga Nikolaevna, Astrid Nikolaevna, Cian and Caoimhe.. whats your last name?" Ms. Bitner commented then asked. "Don't worry about it." Cian patted her back. Olga, Cian, Caoimhe and I walked through the exit doors, I had my arm in Olga's. We pushed through the doors as guards surrounded the building ensuring our safety and security.

Outside stood Malcolm and Mila receiving their congratulations and their blessings. "We should probably cut in front of the line because we are leaving." Cian muttered. I nodded my head, wiping my falling tears. We went up to the couple. "Umm, sorry to cut in line." I apologised to the elder lady that was talking with them. "We must be going." Cian stated. "You will not be staying for the reception? We will go going to a restaurant not far from here." Malcolm questioned. I felt his glaze focusing and concentrating on me. I kept my piercing gaze on a tree behind them so I wouldn't have to look at them. "My love! The Grand Duchesses, Caoimhe and Cian are very busy people. It will be mostly family anyway! We shouldn't be holding them back from their duties." Mila explained.

"I am sure that it will be lovely but we really have to go, congratulations on your marriage." I mumbled, sorrow hitting me on the inside. I shook the Bride's hand as well as the Groom's. I glanced at Malcom's disappointed face. I wish I hadn't told him what I told him back in Romania when we got sunburnt. Cian, Caoimhe and Olga also said their goodbyes and we began heading down to the carriage, we got into the carriage. Olga, Cian, Caoimhe and I sat across from Ms. Bitner. "Did you enjoy the ceremony?" She asked us. "It was pleasant." Olga nodded.

"Not the worst wedding I've been to." Cian stared at Caoimhe. "Yup, not as bad as his." Caoimhe smiled. "What about you Astrid? Did you enjoy the ceremony?" Miss Bitner glanced at me. "It was nice." I shortly responded to her question. "When should Mila be back?" Olenka asked Miss Bitner. "Tomorrow."

We finally got to the palace and I marched to my room, well I tried to march. Cian was actually marching. He walked ahead but we walked into different rooms, our own rooms. I laid on my bed that stood against the wall, i close my blue eyes shut and allowed myself to cry. Tears streamed down my red cheeks as I started to think. I don't need Malcolm, what do I need him for? I can save my family with my friends, I don't need him to come and marry me, I don't need anyone to come and marry me. I can do this, I know i can. I got up front my bed and walked over to a mirror in our room. I looked awful, my eyes were bloodshot red like I was drinking alcohol for 10 days straight, my face was just as red and my hair was messy and everywhere.

I cleaned myself up, whipping away my tears, I put on some powder I borrowed from Caoimhe to get rid of my flushed skin. I fixed my hair having the class OTMA hairstyle with having half of my hair up and the other half down. "You don't need to marry anyone, you don't need to get a boyfriend." I muttered myself. I changed my outfit to a much more simple one. I was wearing a black and white striped blouse and a navy blue skirt.

I heard the French doors slam open and Olga ran in. The doors proceeded to slam behind her. "Oh Astya! I was so worried to where you ran off to! Usually only Cian marches off straight to his room! So you gave me the fright when you disappeared from next to me. I searched around and then decided to ask Cian. He told me I walked into here and I found you! Thank the Lord and Saviour you are okay!" Olga cried out. "I am fine, Olishka. I suspect Caoimhe and Cian is already at the hospital. We should stop wasting time and get to the hospital to help the others." I said in a monotone voice, i sounded like Cian. Olga was surprised at my request but sighed and calmed down. "Alright Miss Prophecy, I'll go change into my nurses attire." She said.

Once Olga had finished and had placed her headpiece on, we both got into a carriage to the hospital, I had new found determination to help out as much as I could.

Who needs Malcolm? Who needs that stupid bitch? I should only care of my country's civilians that are being injured from the war front and trying to defend German Attacks as much as they could. Fuck Malcolm.