16. Keep it quiet!

Riley Freeman
15
Woodcrest High 📍

"Great practice today boys! Remember to order y'all shoes for this season!"My coach yelled. As soon as he got done talking a idea sparked in my mind. I knew the volleyball girls should still be here or atleast leaving, since Angel brother the basketball captain I knew she'd still be here. "Yo Riley!"I turned around and speak of the damn devil it was him. "Sup?"I asked. He dapped me up and put his arm around me, "You know you really becoming my favorite. Only nigga on the team that ain't drooling over my sister and shit. Just wanted to say I appreciate you."he smiled.

I kind of felt a little guilty but awkwardly laughed, "Yeah for sure." He patted my back before jogging back over to our coach. On my way towards the other gym I heard someone throwing up they guts in the girls bathroom. For some reason I went inside to see. "Yo ion know who you is but you good?"I asked. She was coughing and I saw her get off her knees and stand up to flush the toilet. When she came out I was met with Angel's face. Her eyes widened and she ran back into the stall and started throwing up even more. I dropped my bag at the door and went behind her to hold her hair back. "Angel what the hell man?"I exclaimed.

When she was done she backed away from the toilet, wiped her mouth, and started to cry. "I can't control it anymore!"she wailed. I flushed the toilet for her and lifted her off the ground. "Control what, breathe."I said. She washed her hands and continued to cry. After she dried her hands she ran into my arms and was bawling. "It hurts so bad!"she sniffled. I looked at her from the mirror and she was still sweating and I could tell she was working herself up. "Angel? You in here?" We both paused and she covered her mouth. She started to shudder and shake her head no.

I knew I couldn't say anything cause I'd look weird being in the girls bathroom. We stayed quiet until the person walked away. "Can you make sure no one comes in here?"she sniffed. I nodded, she looked in the mirror and grabbed her backpack. I watched her dry her face and use makeup to hide the fact that she was crying. "Don't mention this to anyone Riley."she whispered. I leaned against the wall and frowned, "Angel you need help I need to tell someone." She looked at me and shook her head.

"So what? You gon tell my brother, he thinks we hate each other. That would be suspicious if you all of a sudden cared."she pressed. I opened my mouth to respond then closed it, she was right. "Yeah ion need no herioc bullshit. I can handle my own."she said resuming her makeup. As much as it stung this was the real Angel no matter what spin I put on it. She got her own pros and cons but its her pride that gets in the way of her problems. "So how long you been doing that?"I asked. She stepped up closer to the mirror while she used some powder thing under her eyes. "Why does it matter? I'm fine."she said.

"Angel I just saw that shit happen. You hugging on me and crying doesn't mean you fine, don't try to practice on me save that shit for the house. Imma ask you again and your gonna answer. How long you been doing that shit?"I asked. She let out a sigh, "Four months but they've never hurt that badly."she answered. I nodded and she put her makeup stuff back in her bag and redid her ponytail. She hid herself well, she rinsed her mouth out and grabbed a piece of gum.

"My brother still here don't walk out behind me."she muttered pushing past me. I watched her walk down the hallway and speak with her brother like none of that just occurred and it was beyond me. Huey was out front in his car and was staring at something in the sky. I knocked on the window and he looked at me, then unlocked the door and I got in.

"He held y'all longer today huh?"he teased. I nodded and threw my bag in the backseat. He stared at me before putting the car in gear. "What's bothering you?"he asked. I shook my head and he turned the car away from the direction of the house. "Where we going?"I asked. He looked at his gas and then back up, "We gon keep driving till you tell me what's wrong."he stated. I laughed, "Really you finna pull a mom on me?"I asked. He smiled, "If it get you to talk to me then yeah."