✘ 14

The air grew tense

The air grew tense. Hyein clung onto Haechan's arm, biting her bottom lip as the nerves were taking over. Yumi sat in the chair next to her, glaring up at her soulmate.

Jaemin stared down at the ground, unable to look up due to the heavy weight of Yumi's anger.

“So when were you planning on telling me? Were you just planning to take this to your grave? What the hell, Na Jaemin!”, she angrily let out, causing the poor boy to tense up.

“Why did I have to find out from my best friend and not my soulmate? We've been together for nearly 2 months and you haven't told me, yet Taeri and Renjun have only known each other for less than a week and he told her!”, she complained.

Jaemin sighed, holding his head in the palms of his hands. “I'm sorry... I was going to tell you, trust me-”, Jaemin was cut off. “Trust you?! How can I trust you when you lied to me?!!”.

The boy was speechless. He couldn't help but agree with her. Mark had told Yujin as soon as they completed their bond for that exact reason, trust. So why couldn't he?

Yumi sighed harshly before snapping her head to glare over at Hyein, who was caught off guard by her cold stare.

“You aren't much better, Park Hyein! You kept this from me too! You knew!”, she snapped, causing Hyein to flinch slightly from the volume.

“Why are you bringing her into this? It's not her obligation to tell you!”, Haechan snapped, not appreciating Yumi's tone towards his soulmate.

Hyein gently rubbed his arm, soothing him with the reassurance that she could handle herself.

“I was told not to say anything. Plus, the decision was up to Jaemin whether he told you or not.”, she explained.

“I wasn't told myself, either. I was put in a dangerous situation where they saved me, revealing their identities without much choice.”, she sighed.

“I'm sure if that didn't happen, I would have been just as clueless as you. And believe me when I say I tried to talk him into telling you. Just yesterday, actually!”, Hyein said as Jaemin nodded.

“She told me I'd regret not telling you, and really, I do. I never meant for you to find out this way, love. I wanted to tell you on my own accord.”, Jaemin said, his eyes softening.

Yumi frowned, her eyes brimming with tears from the raging flames inside.

“And when were you planning on doing that?”, she said dryly, staring at him as if he betrayed her trust, which he did. “Today, during our date.”.

Yumi closed her eyes, taking in a deep inhale as she attempted to calm herself down.

“Okay.”, she said. “I believe you.”.

Jaemin gave her a small smile as her eyes fluttered open. “But that doesn't mean I forgive you.”, she finished.

Jaemin sighed, already expecting this. “I'll let you have your space. Just please, don't leave me...”, he said, the last part coming out in merely a whisper.