Chapter Twenty Four- Gambling

After a few days, the court sessions started and Bertha admitted to every crime she committed. Xena managed to free her father from the confessions, but he still lost all his royal titles and awards, which made Xena's father really sad. But he knew that this was the least possible punishment he could receive. When the court ruled that Bertha was guilty of the charges of killing the former king and gave the judgment that she should be hanged to death, Romana couldn't stop crying. It felt as if she was killing the only parent that was left for her, but she knew that it was the right thing to do and stopped herself from crying in public. When Bertha was taken to jail, she asked Romana and The Prince if she could hug her son one last time. They agreed and gave him to her. She kissed him goodbye. Xena couldn't contain her curiosity and asked why she admitted to her crimes even though she was capable of escaping. Bertha replied that even after her death, she wanted her son to remember her as a person who at least had the guts to admit to her wrongdoings. "I know what I was doing was very risky. I was gambling with my life, and in the process, I lost my sight. All I thought about was killing the king and making his children orphans, but it didn't occur to me that in the process, my son might become an orphan. I didn't want my son to be an orphan because I know how much that hurts. So, if admitting to my crimes gives him a loving family, I was ready to do anything. I don't have any regrets anymore. Romana, I hope that you keep your promise. By the way, I know that I'm in no place to say this, but I had to say it because I was secretly shipping you both, and my ship finally sailed! You both are a perfect match for each other, not just personally but professionally too." After saying this, she left with the cops. When Romana came back to the palace, she went straight to Bertha's chambers and started to touch everything in the room. She started to feel lonely. Xena noticed this, turned her around, and hugged her tightly. The hug made Romana go weak, and she lost all the strength she had to stop her crying. She started to cry in Xena's arms for a good while.