Chapter Twelve - End of the past

It has been a few weeks since the Prince left, and Her Majesty has been busy with the coronation and learning about administration. She is anxious about her brother, but she knows that he should be left alone to accomplish his task. One day, she receives news from her brother that he is coming with a spy and asks Her Majesty to wait for him alone in the hidden garden. Although Her Majesty finds it suspicious, she obliges and waits for him in the garden that night. It starts to get dark and cloudy, as if it is about to rain, and soon enough, it does. Suddenly, she hears a bunch of footsteps approaching her, and she becomes vigilant. As she suspected, she is once again surrounded by assassins.

It is dark, cold, and rainy. She is panting, with a knife in her bloody hands. The trees in her garden are covered in the blood of those who tried to kill her. There are around ten men on the ground, either dead or fatally wounded. She is wounded all over her body as well, with a stab on her shoulder that is not fatal but definitely painful. She hears a bunch of footsteps approaching her faster and faster. She holds her knife firmly, ready to kill whoever is approaching her. But to her surprise, she hears a voice. It is a familiar voice, the voice that always comforts her. It is the voice of the person in whom she feels absolutely safe in the whole world. And the voice says, "Are you okay, Your Majesty?"

That familiar and secure voice makes her go weak. It feels like all the strength she had mustered a few seconds ago has vanished. It was Xena. She immediately collapses into the arms of Xena and starts crying profusely. Amidst all this, the Prince arrives and kneels down to examine Her Majesty. But she feels so weak that she became unconscious in  Xena's arms.

{From here the flashback ends and the story continues in present}