Chapter Thirty Four

Mulai dari awal

"I'm sorry! I didn't want to, I had no choice!"

"There's always a choice, Ryan. You just don't pick the right one. All you care about is yourself," she stands in front of him with narrowed eyes, "how much money did you get? How many people have you fooled just to get fucking paid?!" She shoves his chest hard, nearly toppling the chair over backwards.

"Please listen to me, Mar, er Amaris. I got in trouble with gambling. You remember how I liked to gamble, don't you?" He searches her eyes desperately. Perhaps he is hoping for some understanding. I hope she doesn't have any.

"You always acted like you did well and never lost. What does that have to do with any of this?"

I step forward and it draws both of their attention back to me. I can't risk him getting through to her. I'll kill them both if so. She's to only need me and any comfort I can offer. Not forgive and forget the shit caused by this pariah. I know I'm a piece of shit as well, but I don't care. I get what I want and she's what I want. If she can forgive someone like this so easily, then she's more of a liability to me than an asset.

"Your friend here, Ryan is it?" I know his name, but pretending I don't lets him know just how insignificant he is to me. "He made a lot of people angry when he would place his bets and not have the money to back it. They threatened your family, didn't they?"

He looks at me and slowly nods his head. Amaris glances back and forth between us. "What does that have to do with you or Kwan or me, for that matter?"

Naive little kitten. "He sought me out for a loan. I told him to prove to me that he was worth taking such a monetary risk on," I trail off as I remember the evening I spoke with him.

He made the mistake of having her sit alone at the bar while we spoke in a secluded booth. Despite her blonde hair at the time, the smile she had reminded me of that fuckface Charlie Romano and his son. In fact, she looked just like a blonde female version of his son. I asked Ryan her name and when he said her surname, Hamilton, I was sure my eyes were just seeing things.

Until I saw the ring on her finger and a man come up to her and kiss her as he pulled her into his arms; I knew she was married and that's why Ryan didn't say 'Romano'. I immediately wanted to kill her husband for touching her. She was to be mine after all.

I'll probably kill him anyway one day. He beat her ass often and I'm no saint, but I wouldn't beat a woman for fun. Punishment yes, for sport no.

"And what's that got to do with me?" Amaris surely isn't this clueless. I pull my gun out and she stiffens, raising her ands up in front of her chest in surrender.

Ryan is blubbering and begging, snot and spit falling down his chin and I want to shoot him now to make it stop.

I look at him in disgust for a moment longer before snatching one of Amaris' hands and placing my gun in it. Her eyes go wide but she takes a step back from me and places her index finger over the trigger.

She hesitates for a second before lifting it up and pointing it right at my face. I knew this was a risk. I definitely expected her to try and shoot me instantly, but she's just holding it there.

"Shoot him Amaris!" The crybaby hollers. "Shoot him before it's too late!"

She whips the gun toward Ryan and takes another step backward. Her chest starts rising rapidly and she swings the gun back at me. I stand motionless, waiting to see what she will do.

"Just.. just shut up, Ryan!" Her eyes dart back and forth between the two of us. She's nervous. She wants to kill us both, that much is obvious as she changes direction of her sun repeatedly.

I put my hands up slowly, a mock surrender of sorts. Maybe it'll make her fell less threatened by me or maybe it'll just piss her off. Guess I'll find out.

"Shoot him, kitten, I'm not down here to hurt you. I'm offering you his life. Without him, I'd never have found out about you."

She glanced back at Ryan but keeps her aim on me.

"Why did you... volunteer information about me? Huh Ryan? WHY ME?" she screams.

He stammers for a moment, staring at the gun in her hand that's aimed at me, then says, "I didn't mean to. He saw you the first time I met up with him. One of the times we were out drinking. He saw you! He asked about you! He wouldn't continue the conversation about loaning me money until I told him everything I knew about you!" His shoulders slump. He looks somewhat relieved to just let it all out. "I fucked up Amaris. I never should've had you with me that night."

Her lip trembles and the gun wavers. Fuck me. She's not this weak. She has more fire than this. Maybe I need to reignite that flame.

"Don't feel sorry for him. His own decisions led him to me and ultimately led me to you. Think about that escape you made. Maybe he should've redeemed himself and helped you get away. But he handed you over to someone worse than me. Does that sound like something you can forgive?"

She wipes a lone tear off her cheek and straightens her back, standing tall with some false bravado, I'm certain.

"No, it doesn't sound like something I can forgive. I'll never forgive anyone that has fucked me over since that dinner party massacre," she flicks the safety off, pulls back the hammer, and brings her other hand up to hold onto the gun too.

"Then shoot him, princess."

She keeps changing targets. Just who does she want to shoot more?

Ryan looks sullen and I raise a brow at her questioningly. Is this really the choice she's going to make?

With a quick exhale, she presses the trigger.

The click of an empty barrel is so loud as it reverberates through the small room.

Silly little kitten.

As if I'd give her a loaded gun.