Chapter 3 - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"I understand," concluded Aran. "We will be careful." Elidana tightened her expression. "Is he messing with us?" she whispered to Cora.

"I wouldn't know, Aran seems calm," he replied.

Back to Fez and Marmorel, Cora continued to twist the gadget in his fingers.

"Where are the shields?" Marmorel asked with a furrowed brow.

"I think he's fooled us," Cora threw the piggy bank at her, she caught it and Aran repeated the explanation.

"I don't think my father would accept numbers on a piece of iron instead of shiny gold coins," said Fez.

"Come on, let's move," huffed Aran.

They headed for the trains, many of which were now worn out and patched up with metal plates. The seats looked like a copy of the old armchair that Mr. Shadid kept in his shop and the passengers were packed like cattle. Among the trains, however, stood out a long, shiny profile of silver metal with a tapering tip and composed of a dozen wagons. The many passengers boarded orderly; they were mostly foreigners, but wealthy citizens of Clodia dressed up for special occasions were also visible.

"I'd say we've found our train, look at those men," Cora said, pointing to four soldiers wearing green and black uniforms. The emblem they had on their chest was made up of three lines starting from the sides and joining in a triangle with a downward pointing tip. Cora was sure, they were Kharzanian soldiers.

"Let's go. Actually, let's try to choose the best seats," suggested Aran. He presented himself in front of the automatic door. Fez lowered his head when a soldier looked at him.

After showing the card and tickets, the boys entered as a group. They advanced until they reached the first wagon. The environment was aseptic and the flow of people did not affect the sense of order that was perceived. Cora stared at some employees who were carrying two bulky glass cylinders filled with Seorite to the engine room.

Cora and Elidana sat in the first free row, Marmorel and Aran behind them. Fez settled between the seats of the next row.

"If you want, you can sit here, near the window," Fez whispered to Marmorel.

"Maybe on the way back, I already know that I'll sleep for most of the journey, I'm really tired."

"That's okay," Fez whispered in a low tone.

Marmorel leaned her head on Aran's shoulder as if nothing was wrong, and he found her red hair on his face.

"What are you doing?" Allet asked, sounding surprised.

"I would sleep more comfortably leaning on you," Marmorel whispered.

Aran, very delicately, lifted her head, turned to Fez and said, "Do you want to switch places?"

Fez jumped up. "Yes, of course!"

"He didn't hesitate," Cora said with a chuckle.

But when Aran stood up, Marmorel was faster than both of them and overtook Fez, exchanging with him.

"Fine, I understand! Fez, sit next to Aran," she growled, pointing to the two boys with her hand. "What manners!" she grumbled, crossing her arms.

In about ten minutes, the train engine was already in motion, and the speakers placed at the corners of the carriages broadcast a sweet music, but loud enough to partially cover the screech of the Seorite.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the train departing from Clodia and heading to Edel starts its journey: please stay in your seats until arrival. Any personal needs must be notified to our attendants located in each wagon. For a better service experience, please keep the central aisle free. Have a good journey." The doors closed with a single dull movement.