Chapter Twenty Four

Juliet
___________

It had to have been at least an hour, maybe more. They hadn't replied, I hadn't made any leeway on getting myself free, surprisingly. 

I had caused some deep bruising though that had started to ache after twenty minutes.

The lights went out suddenly and after a few seconds the sound of scraping stone came again, along with a grunt of pain that I knew was Bucky. 

Painful grunt or not the relief that passed through me was overwhelming.

I heard his chain rattle as they reattached it and suddenly my chain's length extended, causing me to stubble as I'd been pulling against it so hard.

I fell against the stone, unable to catch myself with my bound hands, I groaned as I fell against the stones, my shoulder connecting with Bucky's boot.

"Ouch." I moaned as I tried to push up, the sound of stone scraping came again as the door was closed.

"Are you alive?" I asked him in a whisper, worry laced its way through my body before I could stop it.

"I'm alive, are you okay?" He asked, sounding just as worried.

"I'm fine." I sighed, just thankful he was finally there and responding.

It confused me to feel worried for him, to feel an attachment to someone I hated but I did have to admit to myself I needed him in here, if I'd been here alone I'd have panicked and lost my mind, knowing someone was there, even Bucky, was a comfort I shouldn't have expected.

"What happened?" I managed to push myself up, but I didn't push myself back, realising how close I actually was able to get to him, if he moved forward we'd be able to touch.

Not that we'd need to or that I'd want him to touch me, but it was nice knowing we could if we had to.

Suddenly I realised what that meant and gasped, "Move forward." I said, hope lacing my voice to my own ears.

"I can't right now." He grunted, taking a deep breath, it sounded shaky.

"What, why?" I tapped his foot again, letting him know I was there.

"Back up, don't let them see how far they've extended the chain." He whispered, so quiet I almost couldn't hear him.

I frowned but did as he said, if he wasn't going to move forward anytime soon we may as well not draw attention to the bit of luck we'd had.

"What did they do to you?" I whispered, we knew they could hear us. 

We didn't know what they could pick up or when they were listening or watching, we'd guessed it wasn't a twenty four hour thing, but we could be totally off.

We'd discovered absolutely nothing, we still weren't even sure how long it had been. And despite the fact we now knew there was a door, clearly within the stones and I knew it was to our left from the direction we'd been pulled, I also knew there was no way for us to utilise that unless we got out of the chains, which without Bucky's serum strength we couldn't do.

Our only option seemed to be to fight when they took us out the room, but then we still didn't have his strength, and they'd threatened to kill the other if either fought. 

They were smart, I wouldn't be able to carry the guilt of being the reason someone else died for my actions, and Bucky didn't seem inclined to live with that either, despite who he used to be. I'd have tried the second I was free of the chain if they'd threatened to shoot me for my own actions.

Even if we'd managed to fight our way away from the men, they kept it so dark there was no way for us to try and memorise a route, so we'd be aimlessly running through the pitch dark with no idea where to go, and they had cameras, we were sure of that, so someone would see we'd fought our way free and they'd send more agents in minutes, trapping us again in the pitch darkness.