001

O N E
.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

Getting a job at Mornings was probably the best thing that ever happened in my life.

I was working there for not even a day and I already met Frypan, one of the most talented cooks I knew. Now we were closer and took up orders every morning. We cooked and baked (he cooked and I baked), gossiped, and had fun.

For the first time in my life, I felt safe and happy. Mornings was a small, yet popular cafe in our town. There was a simple bar where all my—and other bakers'— food was stocked. A cash register stood on top of it. Behind the white door was the kitchen. A few white tables with either red couches or chairs were divided all over the cafe. It was a nice place to be, after all the awful things I went through. 

And twice a week, on Wednesday mornings and Friday middays to be exact, Frypan's friends visited. The cook would join them, so I would take their orders and deliver the food and drinks.

I didn't know their names. I didn't exactly know what they were like. All I registered was a tall, blonde boy, an Asian one, and a brown-haired one. Sometimes a few others I hadn't really inspected joined, too. They always seemed to have so much fun it nearly made me jealous.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

A hand on my shoulder caused me to flinch and almost drop the bowl in my hands. Startled, I turned my head, meeting Frypan's warm eyes. He smiled at me.

He was a big guy, but not scary. His face gave off how kind he was. He was dark-skinned with perfect teeth, a nice smile, and a bit chubby, which made him even more lovely.

"Hey." He greeted.

"Hi." I smiled back at him. "Need something?"

"Just need you to move a bit. Ya know, my Gladers are here." He explained, his hand still on my shoulder.

I nodded fast. "Oh, of course." Moving out of the way, I once again frowned at their group name. Frypan gave me a last smile before he joined his friends.

Today, they brought a duo I didn't remember seeing before. A gorgeous, black-haired girl, who's face was tall and clothes white. Next to her sat a tired-looking boy. The cap of his hoodie clasped around his head until the familiar Asian slapped it off.

It took me something not to stare at them. I kept ignoring that urge in my stomach. The urge to have more than one friend too. The urge to join them.

"Quinn, put them in the oven and take up orders." The boss ordered. He motioned at the cupcakes in front of me. I nodded again, quickly finishing the job he told me to do before I took up the orders.

Bouncing up and down on my heels, I stood in front of the 'Gladers'. "Morning." I mostly looked at Frypan. "What can I get for you?"

The Asian was the first to speak up, as always. And also as always, I knew exactly what he was going to order.

An Oreo milkshake with a lot of whipped cream.

He didn't bother to look up much, just continued his talk with the girl. "An Oreo shake with some whipped cream." He said without even looking at me.

"Please." The British blonde added before he turned his baby-face to me. His blonde hair was messy again, smile kind and slim arms stretched over the couch. "A vanilla milkshake, please."

"You know they have chocolate chip cookies too now, right?" The brunette glanced up from his fidgeting with the menu card. "I know you like 'em."

"Indeed I do." He nodded. "Sorry. No milkshake, just the cookies, please."