29) She Will Be Loved

Začať od začiatku

"Jane has been working for my father since I was fifteen." Arden explains.

"Got to watch this brilliant lady grow up. I remember when you used to hole up in your room studying for hours on end. And it all paid off, look at you now." she beams.

At least someone here is happy to see Arden.

"You can put your bags in your old room." she instructs.

I follow Arden up the staircase and down the hall. I'm disappointed when she opens the door. I was hoping to find a time capsule of her childhood, but am instead greeted by a standard guest room.

We go back downstairs to the kitchen where Jane and Arden's father are standing around the island, drinking glass of wine. Arden pours herself a glass and offers me one. I decline, Oxy and wine sound like a recipe for disaster.

"What do you do for a living, Gary?" her father demands. The first thing he's ever said to me and it already feels like I'm on trial.

"Harry." I correct. "And I work at a casino in Atlantic City."

"That sounds interesting!" Jane interjects, trying to break the growing tension.

"A casino?" he scoffs. "Well, I'd imagine it would be hard to get a real job with your arms all marked up." he gestures to my tattoos.

I open my mouth to rip into him, but am stopped by Arden grabbing my arm. She looks up at me, eyes pleading. Against my better judgement, I abandon my attack.

"Which one do you work at? And what do you do there?" Jane asks, turing the attention from Arden's father.

"The Triton and I work in security." I lie. Her father is stares me down for a few moments before setting his glass down and walking out of the kitchen. Jane small talks with me for a few moments asking about the inter workings of casino security.

"I have to go." Jane says to Arden once our conversation dies down. "My son is waiting on me to start dinner. Your dinner was delivered while you were upstairs and it already in the dining room. It was really nice to see you." she hugs Arden before turning to me.

"And it was really nice to meet you, Harry. Don't let Allen get to you. He's just been in a bad mood for the past twenty years." she gathers her things and leaves, waving to us one last time before exiting the front door.

I follow Arden into the large dining room. He father is already seated at the head of the large wooden dining table with a plateful of food in front of him.

Arden seats herself in the chair directly to his right and I sit in the chair beside her.

"How have you been, dad?" Arden asks, breaking the awkward silence.

"Slammed with cases." he answers, mouth half full of food. "So where is this going." he demands, using his knife to point to Arden and I.

"What?" she asks, confused.

"Is this a fling or what? Please say yes, you've already thrown away enough of your life on that joke of a career."

I open my mouth to respond, but am silenced by Arden squeezing my thigh under the table.

"I love my job." she mutters.

"You're just as foolish as your mother. Shame she couldn't be here today." he stares at her for a moment before returning his gaze to his plate.

I grit my teeth and glare at him, waiting for him to meet my gaze. I clear my throat, only to have Arden squeeze my thigh a second time.

"Please." she whispers to me.