Chapter 5

Cora

As much as I was happy for Anna and Theo, my yesterday's talk with Leo kept luring me into sadness.

Once I finally called him in my hotel room, half asleep, he started acting rude towards me for no particular reason, making things up like how I ignore him all day. When I reminded him that he couldn't be here for two important days in my life, this wedding and our anniversary, he even started to yell at me. I had ended the call, saying that he can also not come home from that damn work trip.

By the time I finally find my seat with my name card on it, I can't help but notice the name card next to mine that reads "Adam."

I almost quickly swap the card with another name.

How can I possibly enjoy my meal now?

What a beautiful ceremony that was.

But, of course, I can't say that I was too happy about seeing him again.

In fact, I was panicking once Anna made me go and meet Theo's best man.

And the look on his face definitely didn't make it any better. His face almost turned blue. How flattering for me.

He does look stunning today, however.

"Of course, it is you." I hear him behind me and my insides jump.

My mind convinces me that I had said that last phrase out loud.

"I am no longer surprised." I sigh, closing my eyes.

"Neither am I." He does the same.

"Should we sit?" He asks and gets the chair out for me.

Perfect manners, of course.

"How charming of you." I scoff at him, but sit down. He does the same.

"You haven't seen anything, darling." He smirks at me and I want to hit him.

"I have a boyfriend." I turn my head to him and give him my most prideful smile.

"Mhm. What's his name?" He never loses the eye contact, so I am the one to break it.

"Leo. Why does it matt...?"

"Leo? Hello? Are you under here?" He leans down to check under the table and I can't help but cackle.

"He is busy with work."

"I am busy with work. I am here."

"Theo is your childhood friend."

"And you are his girlfriend."

His eyes stare at me, piercing my body.

It is pointless to try and win anything against him. His pride out-stands mine.

I turn my head away from him and check my lipstick on my phone's camera.

I hear him clearing his voice.

"Did I make you upse...?"

But it is time for the first toast.

Anna's father's speech is so beautiful, I can't help but cry a few tears.

Adam reaches out to give me his napkin from his lap.

"I have my own." I scoff at him.

We eat in silence while I exchange a few smiles and looks with familiar faces.

"Sorry for upsetting you." I hear him say.

"All is well." I say to him back, looking down at my empty plate.