Part 13

October 23rd, 2027

I woke up

Day 1649,

The surgery went smoothly. Alex says I only need to be on bed rest for a few weeks. Alex suggested going on a walk in the courtyard of the hotel. They are really their best to find a way to cheer me up. I won't oppose them or try make their job more difficult.

I was talking with Alex, and they seem to be very passionate about the medical field. I asked them one question and they went on for an hour explaining every detail and complication of it. It's kind of nice seeing them happy and excited about something instead of looking like they'd rather be somewhere else all the time.

After we got back, I spent some time with them in the library. I read some random history book; I don't even think I took in half the word on the pages. Alex was absorbed in the books they were reading. I tried talking to them a few times, but I don't think they heard a word. At one point I got up to make some coffee and just stared at them as they worked. Its mesmerizing seeing them in the zone.

They walked me back to my room once Alex finished for the day. They stayed there for a while monitoring my vitals and making awkward small talk. It was odd but still a bit comforting after everything that's happened.

I think I can get used to them,

Angel,