Thirty-Four: What Do We Do?

"Can you hear me?"

Mikey shifted uncomfortably against the wall, listening intently.

"Y-yes, i-it's just a l-little staticky," 

Leatherhead's comforting voice glitched over the phone line, a miracle that it even went through. Mikey let out a sigh, leaning back into the wall.

"I miss you,"

Leatherhead chuckled, the sound resonating in Mikey's chest.

"I-I as well, M-Michelangelo," He rumbled, "Just as s-soon as y-you returned to me, you're gone once a-again,"

"...I'm sorry," 

"W-what for, M-Michelangelo?" Leatherhead rumbled, "There is n-no need for an a-apology,"

"I guess," Mikey sighed, tilting his head back, "I just had to say sorry to someone,"

"I-I see," The gator hummed, "W-what has happened?"

"Too much," Mikey paused, "Right now, we're stuck in another dimension with these different versions of us, uh, Tiger-Claw is doing something, something bad probably. Goo...Goo got mutated,"

"O-oh dear, a-are they okay?"

Mikey furrowed his eyebrows, blinking away the tears that threatened his vision.

"They've stopped talking," He said quietly, "They're not taking it well at all,"

"H-how so?"

"They...they're, they just kinda..." Mikey stuttered before sighing, "They sleep in for a long time and then follow me around everywhere. A-and they're there, but they're not there at all,"

Mikey took a breath while Leatherhead waited patiently. 

"They flinch every time they look in a mirror, they can't even look at their hands, and it's-hah, it's my fault,"

The line was silent for a while, neither of the couple spoke.

"H-how is it y-your fault?" Leatherhead asked, doubt evident in his tone.

"Because! Because I used those stupid crystals!" Mikey grit out, "I used the exploding crystals and destroyed those crates and-! And! And...the wrong one broke at the wrong time and now Goo is, Goo's a mutant,"

"O-oh dear," Leatherhead rumbled, "W-what an a-awful accident," 

Mikey let out a sad churr, letting his head fall against his knees. Leatherhead growled in response, the comforting sound coming out chipped and fractured over the line.

"A-are you okay?" 

"...I'm okay," Mikey whispered.

"A-are you sure?" Leatherhead sounded so gentle, so warm, yet he was so far away.

"I'm better now," Mikey said, a small smile slipping on his face, "I'm better 'cause I'm talking to you,"

Leatherhead quietly gasped, letting out embarrassed grumbles over the line. Mikey giggled at him.

"I mean it," Mikey pressed, "When you hold me, it's like the world stops and everything else disappears. You're so warm, it feels like I melt. Your voice alone is enough to make me feel good,"

Mikey couldn't see him, but he sounded beyond flustered. Mikey could almost see him, waving his tail and putting a huge paw over his muzzle. The thought made him laugh.

"I-It's the same for me," Leatherhead said eventually, "H-holding you close fills m-me with joy and I d-desire nothing more than to k-keep you near me. You have always b-been there for me, f-filling the holes in my heart. I c-can't imagine a world w-without you. You complete me,"