And That Makes Three

He sees gray.

He squirms in place, trying to find heat. Any heat at all.

Dark green scales flash across his vision, followed by a warmth pressing against his chest.

Then he sees red, and he's drowned in the scorching hot feeling of pain.

.

Mikey skates through the sewers, humming along to his turtle pod. He's carrying a backpack, in it the portable console that Donny recently made. The orange ninja intends to use it to play with Leatherhead.

Skating along the familiar path, Mikey contemplates the dream he had last night, after his conversation with GB.

Splinter once said to him that dreams had meanings, that they were messages from ancestors or the universe, or even from himself. He couldn't say what this dream was about though, it was more feelings than message.

In the end, though, he was just happy he had a dream.

As he neared Leatherhead's lair, he hopped off his skateboard and removed his headphones. He stepped lightly around the defenses that had been set up outside, and peered into the open area that housed Leatherhead's home.

The area was similar to the turtle's own place of residence, an abandoned part of the NYC transit. What could be considered Leatherhead's living/bedroom was the subway car in the middle of the space.

Mikey and his brothers had found this safe area a while ago, and happily offered to help Leatherhead move in, even going as far as to drag in the subway car for him.

Mikey had spent a long time finding items to furnish Leatherhead's home, cleaning trashed pillows and blankets, dragging a table down for him, having Donny fix a broken radio for him, e.t.c. He wanted Leatherhead to have proper home.

He visited almost daily, finding himself drawn to the mutant alligator (or crocodile, he's not entirely sure). Sometimes, like now, he brought over games to play. Other times he played Leatherhead's radio, and tried to teach him how to dance. Occasionally, he made food with the mutant, showing Leatherhead the different flavors of New York.

Sometimes, on sleepy days, the two would cuddle. Mikey wouldn't admit it to any soul on Earth, but these were his favorite days. Wrapped in Leatherhead's warmth, he could forget about everything. He didn't have to think about the terrors in his head.

He felt safe with Leatherhead.

Funny as it is, Mikey truly means that. While his brothers had feared Leatherhead's outbursts, maybe still did, Mikey could never bring himself to be afraid of his friend. All he could ever see was a tortured soul, who needed some love in his life.

Mikey paused a moment. Love? Yeah, love is exactly what he wants to give him.

A sound from the train car refocused Mikey's attention. Excitedly, the ninja continued forward, gingerly knocking on the door.

Heavy steps shook behind the door, something that has long since become a welcoming sound. Slowly, the door slides open.

"Hello, Michelangelo."

Leatherhead's deep voice shook Mikey's chest, a feeling he really enjoys.

"Hey Leatherhead!"

Mikey opened his arms and allowed himself to be pulled inside. He squeezed the mutant as much as he could, before gently falling onto the giant pile of blankets used as a bed.

"Guess what Leatherhead? Donny finally finished the console!"

He quickly shed the backpack and pulled out the equipment.