Novel From Beyond 1

(Emu's POV)

Three years have passed since Kuroto's disappearance.

I am still treating patients as a doctor at Seito University Hospital while juggling work for two departments, pediatrics and CR.

The Seito University Hospital is said to be one of the best university hospitals in Japan with a large number of excellent doctors.

The clinical department is subdivided in: Respiratory Medicine. Cardiovascular Medicine. Gastroenterology. Nephrology, Endocrinology and Metabolism. Neurology. Hematology. Rheumatology and Collagen Disease. General and Digestive Surgery. Respiratory Surgery. Cardiovascular Surgery (where Hiiro-san works). Neurosurgery. Pediatric surgery. Orthopedic surgery. Plastic surgery. Rehabilitation Medicine. Pediatrics. Obstetrics. Gynecology. Ophthalmology. Dermatology. Urology. Otorhinolaryngology. Psychiatry and Neurology. Diagnostic Radiology. Radiotherapy (where Taiga-san used to work). Anesthesiology. Emergency Medicine. Dentistry and Oral Surgery. General Medicine. Pathology. Laboratory Medicine.

There are other medical facility departments such as the endoscopy center, surgery center, and regenerative medicine center. Clinical support departments such as nursing and pharmacy departments. Clinical research and education departments. There are so many departments that even I can't fully grasp all of them, and they are supported by a large number of medical professionals.

One of the characteristics of the hospital is that it is affiliated with Seito University, so it has three functions: education, clinical, and research. Of course, the hospital's main function is to treat patients, but at the same time, it also provides education for future doctors and conducts research on treatments for unknown diseases.

I chose to study at the medical school of Seito University because I wanted to study as a doctor and deal with patients in a state-of-the-art medical field with well-equipped facilities and environment. My wish came true, and I continue to treat children as a pediatrician.

Pediatrics is different from other departments in that we deal with young patients, so the way we deal with them is a bit unique. It is necessary to pay attention to things other than normal medical care so that the hospital is not seen as a scary place. In my case, I often interact with pediatric patients through games. Fighting illness is often painful, so I want my children to smile as much as possible.

I have never been so glad that I was good at games as I am at this moment.

Why did I want to become a pediatrician in the first place?

Dr. Kyotaro had a big influence on me. When I was eight years old, he saved me from a traffic accident that left me wandering between life and death. I wanted to become a doctor like Dr. Kyotaro.

"It's not just about treating the body. To smile from the heart is the proof of health."

This way of thinking that I learned from Dr. Kyotaro is what still drives me today.

And one more thing. I have to add that there is a very important department in Seito University Hospital. It's called the Cyber Brain Rescue Center, or CR for short. CR is an acronym for Cyber Brain Room.

CR has been fighting to protect human life from an unknown virus for a long time now.

A computer virus that has evolved to infect the human body – the bugster virus. When infected, the patient suffers from the bugster virus infection, commonly known as "game disease", which causes high fever and various other symptoms.

The bugster virus multiplies when the patient is stressed. This is because increased stress lowers the patient's immune system, and the patient loses the ability to suppress the bugster virus.