3.0

Zarria was woken up by Dorian abruptly sitting up. Her eyes looked at him first before she heard the foot steps approach. She sat up just as Dorian jumped to his feet his body stiff and his senses heightened. A male appeared out of the dense trees a wicked smile plastered on his pale face. A snarl ripped past Dorians teeth in warning.

"So hostile! I just wanted to say hello," the males smile widened causing Zarria's breath to get stuck in her throat,  as she saw a row of sharp teeth. The male took another step and Dorian responded with two of his own,  puff out his chest to appear larger. "Faulty mistake," the males smile dropped, leaving a bored expression on his face as he stared at Dorian through hooded eyes. "I'm not the one you should be focused on."

As those words left his lips a rope was thrown over Zarrias head tightening onto her neck instantly. She grabbed it just in time as she was ripped into the darkness away from Dorian, a frightened scream releasing from her throat. Her fingers separated the rope from her throat, saving her from the strangulation it would have caused. As she attempted to dig her free hand into the earth to gain traction to stop her body from being dragged further, she looked back and saw a figure ontop of what seemed like a mule, although larger, dragging her through the trees.

Her body hit rocks and fallen branches leaving her bleeding and bruised. Her jaw dropped open in a blood curdling scream, "Dorian!" She dragged out his name her cry laced with fear.

A flashed figure emerged from the shadows of the trees hitting the creature that was being used to drag Zarria. The being that was riding the creature was instantly thrown from its back hitting a near tree with a loud bang. The rope went slack and Zarria quickly removed it from her neck panting heavily and rubbing at the mark it left on her throat. She rolled onto her stomach lifting her head to see her attacker rise from the ground, groaning. Dorian rushed to her side grabbing her face looking at the cuts and forming bruises. Zarria did not look away from the female as she took in her unearthly appearance. Her hair was nearly the same color of fire and her skin as pale as the moon. She was petite in size and she flashed a row of sharp teeth similar to the males. Black ink ran up her arms before disappearing under her shirt and reappearing on her neck. In the moonlight Zarria could see how her Irises were as blue as crystallized water but what should have been the whites of her eyes were a pure onyx black.

The male that first approached them ran to the females side, blood dripping from his nose his complete lower jaw covered in it. Zarria took notice how the male softly touched the female, as they looked at each other the female nodded slightly before hiding behind the male. At the sight of both threats Dorian pushed Zarria closer to the ground and crouched over her like a territorial animal. He barred his teeth and snapped his jaws forward like a rabid dog. This behavior had Zarria going stiff, trying her best to go unnoticed. The male pushed the female further behind him as he backed away. His eyes glanced at Zarria then back at Dorian his lips pulling back in a snarl.

"Watch your back mutt. We aren't the only ones aware of her presence in these wilds," he showcased his row of fangs and backed away into the trees. Keeping the small female behind him. Zarrias eyebrows furrowed forward in confusion. She had never once left the desert why had she become a target so easily.

Clearly the two of them were relying on the element of surprise to do whatever they had planned. They did not seem too keen on challenging Dorian face on. As the two vanished from sight Dorians body slowly relaxed before he got off of Zarria and grabbed her hesitantly. His eyes ran over her face, narrowing at the sight of cuts and dirt. Her hair was as ruly as a birds nest and he tried to smooth it down.

"We need to leave now. The quicker we get out of this forest the safer you'll be," his urgency to protect her, furthered her confusion but she thought against asking now. No words were exchanged as his demeanor had changed from laid back to that of a on edge animal, practically growling at every slight movement.

~~~~~~~
Zarrias head continue nodded about as she drifted in and out of sleep on the mules back. They had been riding for hours me. Dorian on the other hand was wide awake and aware. His eyes would dart around at the slightest sound of the forest life while Zaria cursed the male and female that interrupted her sleep. The sun had risen approximately 10 hours ago and it was getting close to settings once again. Zarria's inner thighs had rubbed raw from being on the mules back for so long with little to no breaks. Her back hurt from being hunched over and her skin stung from the cold elements.

Dorians figure had not calmed since they left. His eyes were the darkest onyx nearly swelling the whites of his eyes whole. Zaria snapped back to reality as she felt her mule being pulled aggressively forward. Her mouth dropped as she gawked at the enormous metal gate I front of her. Two large males stood at the front there arms crossed as the spoke to Dorian. Both males diverted their attention from Dorian as they glanced back taking notice of his female companion. Her eyes widened as she noticed these males eyes were as bright as the sun and where the white of the eyes should have been was replaced with the color of the midnight sky.

One male was obviously smaller than Dorian and the other male. His hair was a soft earthy tonee cut short to sit plainly on top of his head. His skin several shades darker than Dorian which made his eyes more intense that caused chills to run down her spine. The other male was taller than Dorian, his flesh nearly as pale as her own but was decorated in black markings swirling around his exposed arms. His hat was a rusty yellow color, it reminded her of the desert sand back home. Although his stare was not as intense as his partners, the three large scars tuning over his left eye down his chin had Zarria taking note to avoid him at all cost. Dorian had said something that grasped both the males attention and as the nodded the gate creeped as it opened. Zaria took the moment to become aware of her surroundings. The forest had become extremely dense with trees and what seemed like a constant cover of clouds. The air around her nipped at her skin threatening to numb her body is she did not warm soon. Dorian approached her offering a hand as she got down from the mule. Her legs stumbled slightly before finding her footing. Without question Dorian grabbed her bag and threw it over his own bag. Zaria could not help but smile at his subtle kindness.

"It looks like the frost has taken a liking to you," as he said this he rubbed his thumb over her nose acknowledging how it had become a harsh red. Grabbing her hood he pulled it over her face to try and keep her warmth in. "When we get to the compound we will see to it you have more appropriate clothing. I don't want you to lose any fingers."

Zaria chuckled as she brought we her clenched fist to her chest trying to warm her already tingling fingers. Dorian took notice of the slight trembling of her hands before he took them into his own and breathed out through his mouth into her fingers trying to warm them. Zaria sat there mouth gaping at his actions. As if realizing what he was doing he dropped her hands immediately and cleared his throats.

"Stay close, I don't want you to get lost here. You don't know what the elements in this region are capable," he started forward nodding at the males before passing through the gate.

"Yes, sir!" She chuckled but quickly stopped when Dorian looked at her with a deadpanned expression. He was not amused.

She lowered her gaze following behind him like a puppy in trouble. Glancing up as they passed the males she made eye contact with the scarred one and instantly diverted her gaze to the floor when he scrunched his nose up at her. Zarria found herself sulking in silence, for some reason she found the way Dorian looked at her offensive. He had been so charming and funny the entire trip, why did his demeanor change so drastically.

Dorian kept quiet as they ascended further into the mountains, not allowing himself to cave into comforting the female behind him as the sound of her chattering teeth hit his ears. He needed to be strong. To follow through with his plan. He could not allow a female get in the way of that.