The distraction.

Annabeth

I groan as I roll to my side. I look over to my clock.

9:15am

I finally slept through the night. No nightmares. No abrupt wake ups. This was the first time I had a good nights rest since Silena died.

It's Saturday. I got home at 2am last night, I'm lucky Helen didn't notice I was gone past midnight, I was able to sneak in through my window. Percy walked me home after we left the school, he insisted on taking me home.

Percy.

What the fuck.

I kissed Percy Jackson last night.

I jolted up from my pillow and touched my lips. The lips that were connected with Percy Jackson's only hours before. I could feel my cheeks heat up. What was I thinking? Oh that's it, I wasn't. I wasn't thinking at all.

I remember how his soft lips felt on mine, the way they fit together perfectly. I remember how his cheeks heated up under my touch, and it felt good to know that I was the one who caused that.

I groan as I shove my face in my pillow, attempting to hide the raging blush on my cheeks. I throw my covers off and slide out of my warm bed. The wood floor creaks as I walk across it, I open my bedroom door and I'm immediately hit by the smell of bacon. Weird. Helen never cooks breakfast.

I stumble down the stairs and walk into the kitchen to see my dad. His back was faced towards me and he was standing at the stove. There was no one else in the kitchen but us, I was kind of shocked. He's supposed to be on another business trip, like always. It's unusual to see him in the house, much less cooking in our kitchen.

"Dad?" I say, my voice was raspy as I had just woken up.

He jolts in surprise then turns to face me with a warm smile on his old face.

"Annabeth! How are you, pumpkin?" He smiles as he waved me over, I slowly walk over.

"I'm okay.. what are you doing here?" I say as I sit at the kitchen island.

"I live here?" He laughs, as he slides burnt bacon onto a glass plate that was laying out.

"Hardly." I mumbled under my breath, good thing he didn't hear me.

He looks over to me and hands me the plate of bacon.

"I know. It's just, you usually call before coming." I say as I look at the bacon that was burnt to a crisp.

"Can't I just surprise my wonderful daughter?" He says as he walks over to the fridge and yanks out the orange juice.

"Dad." I say, making eye contact with him.

He went quiet. He poured me a cup of orange juice and slid it over to me, not a word exchanged.

"I've noticed your grades have been dropping, Annabeth." He finally says with a huff, his tone was firm.

I shift uncomfortably in my chair, wishing I stayed upstairs, cuddled in my bed. Of course he only comes here to talk about my grades. That's all he cares about.

"Who told you that?" I mumble as I look down to my hands.

"Me." A new voice popped up from behind me, I turn around to see Helen walking into the kitchen from the foyer. She walked over to my dad and placed a kiss on his cheek, I barfed in my mouth.

Now, here's something you should know about Helen. She and I keep things on a surface level, meaning we only talk when we need to and we're polite. She knows I'm not very fond of her, and I know she's not very fond of me. The good thing about Helen is that 85% of the time she doesn't give a damn about me, meaning I could do whatever I want. But the bad thing about her is that the other 15% of the time, she acts like a total bitch. Something just possesses her to care about every little thing that I do.