“But if something had happened to you,” Seth murmured, “I would never have been able to forgive myself.”

“But nothing happened to me,” Akira assured him.

“Mm,” Seth agreed. “I’m glad Redemption managed to get you out.”

Akira frowned. She hadn’t told Seth and the others about Deception. Redemption had not let the draglin out of the bad either after he had Akira swear that she would bring it up as soon as they reached the Academy. Yet for now, she just wanted to get there safely without having to worry Seth and Will about anything more than they currently were.

“You asleep Ree?” Akira asked as she reached out her mind for her dragon.

“Not anymore,” came her dragons sleepy reply. The dragons were some distance away, not only because they did not fit in the small clearing Akira and the boys were in, but also because they had gone to hunt for their own dinner and had wanted to eat in peace.

“I’ve been wondering,” Akira thought as she played with Seth’s hair. “How is it possible that Deception is still around if everyone else from the future is gone?”

“That’s a good question,” Redemption told her.

Akira stared down at Seth to see that his chest was rising steadily. His breathing had slowed down and he looked peaceful. She wondered at how he could go to sleep with the pain he was in.

“But there has also been something else that’s been bugging me ever since Dominique and the others disappeared,” Akira began.

“And that is?” Redemption asked.

Akira frowned. “If Dominique and the others really ceased to exist, then should our memories of them not have disappeared as well? And yet we remember them clearly, all of us do!”

For a moment Redemption did not reply. He seemed deep in thought and Akira left him, letting him take his time.

“You know kiddo,” Redemption spoke. “I thought about it too and came to a conclusion. Want to know what I think?”

“What?”

 “Everything that has happened up to now has happened. You meeting Dominique and your other friends and helping them out, Deception’s birth. Every event, every interaction, everything that we have done, whether it be in the past or the future, those actions themselves have not been erased. All that has been done is that a time line does not exist anymore. Namely, only the future has been erased.”

“That doesn’t make sense Ree,” Akira told him as she tried to wrap her head around what he had just said.

“It is difficult to understand kiddo,” Redemption sighed. “How should I put it? Let’s just say that even though the future now no longer exists, Deception’s birth still occurred. How exactly she managed to stick around while all the others from her time disappeared is a mystery to even me. Maybe it has something to do with her being a Dragon of Legend. The point however is, her existence cannot be erased so simply.”

“So maybe she is the one who erased the future after all,” Akira mused.

“Maybe,” Redemption agreed. “Now get some sleep kiddo, you need it. We can try figure this out when we have the energy and time to do so.”

Akira yawned in reply. She looked down at Seth once more. Assured that he was fast asleep she gently slipped his head from her lap and laid it down on an extra blanket. Getting up she walked up beside him and lay down. Turning, she faced him and stared at his sleeping form. She watched his chest rise and fall and drifted off to sleep with a smile on her face.