“Amber, I think I have fallen in love with you. Will you be my girlfriend?” His words on the beach echoed in my mind like a distant dream. Were they even true? 

Years later, he proposed to me. He had promised that he would take me into his pack and we would start afresh. No one would hate me anymore. No one would–

I wiped the tears that kept trickling down my eyes.

When I entered the wedding venue wearing my wedding dress, I felt the hateful glances of the pack members. My instincts told me that something was wrong as they all whispered and gossiped while staring at me. But I had brushed those thoughts aside, as it was my big day.

Uncle Crux, the pack beta, barred me from the stage until the bride arrived. It did not shock me. My elder sister was also getting married today, and that was the reason dad accepted to throw me a wedding with Cooper. I knew I was not the reason the pack attended this wedding.

As far as I knew, Abby was getting married to a powerful Alpha. 

But I suspected something was up when I saw Cooper on stage first, not acknowledging me. A few seconds later, my sister walked in wearing her beautiful white gown with dad on her side. Things remained fine until I saw my sister standing beside Cooper on the stage. That was when it clicked.

Cooper was getting married…to my sister. But why?

I stepped onto the stage, asking for an explanation. But in return, I got tossed aside like a used tissue paper and watched my world crumble at my feet. 

I touched my shoulder. His mark was gone, just like my hope. 

Cooper’s silhouette appeared distorted as bitter tears covered my vision. “Unlucky freak? I thought you didn’t see me like the rest did. Isn’t that what you used to tell me? That you would love me no matter what anyone said?” I rose to my feet, holding my head high in defiance. 

They destroyed everything, so the least I could do was fight for myself. 

“Be practical, Amber. I thought everyone was lying, so I said that. But they are right. My life became worse from the time I dated you. My friends and my pack in the West would laugh at me for dating you.” He pointed as if it was all my fault. He was the one to make the first move towards me. Yet he blamed me for everything.

Typical. 

He brushed the tip of his straight nose with his thumb. “I can’t be the next Alpha of my pack if I marry you. No one in the West will accept an insane, wolf-less girl as their Luna. You take drugs, for Goddess’s sake!” My eyes widened. 

Everyone present in the hall gasped as they heard the loud sound of my hand connecting with his cheek.

“They are not drugs! They are medicines I take. I can’t believe you said that out loud after knowing what happened to me!” I yelled, my chest growing tighter at his betrayal. 

I had to take antidepressants for my mental health because I lost my wolf in a major battle. I was the hated outcast, but the strong desire to get recognized and appreciated by dad led me to join the military forces of my pack. The path wasn’t easy, but I had my wolf and together we got a hold of the position. I didn’t suspect why dad allowed me in the first place. Later, when I had to put my life on the line to fight the gruesome battles, I realized that my decision was benefiting him. 

I trained hard and soon became a low-ranked warrior in the pack. I had fought a few pack wars and attended to the wounds of the injured whenever I could. Everything seemed to work well until that one battle. 

It was against the aggregated pack in the rural region that was at the periphery of my pack borders. 

I remembered how valiantly my wolf, Agni, fought against the enemies. The rest of our fighters opted to run away and save themselves. She was never one to back down from a fight as we had Alpha blood running in our veins. The wolves outnumbered us, and five wolves killed her brutally by attacking her at the same time.