Extra stories -4 Parenthood for Mr. And Mrs Shergill

Start from the beginning

So, they continued to watch TV together. 

When Monami returned, she found the sitting room empty. There was no one on the carpet or sofa. The TV was switched off. 

She went into the bedroom. She laughed.

Both of them have fallen asleep. 

But… in a different way to what she normally sees.

Baby likes to curl up when she goes to bed. But today, she was lying down in a straight line. Obviously, her sleeping posture has been ‘corrected’. 

A tenderness comes across her.  She washes up, gets changed into her pyjamas and lies down next to Karan.

He wakes up when she gets into bed.  He curls his lips and immediately rolls himself above her. 

…….

Karan used to be very particular about his sleep posture. But since he met Monami, this good habit of his that he maintained for over 20 years disappeared.  Most of the time, he rolls himself and sleeps on top of Monami, while hugging her tightly.

—————-

When Esha is about one and a half years old, she starts to speak more phrases. 

This particular day, she learns a new phrase - ‘Hep! Baby balchao!’  Because she doesn’t fully understand the meaning of the word, she often uses it out of context. 

For example:  When she is hungry, she will say:  “Hep! Baby balchao! Bhooki...”

And when she wants to play, she will say: “Hep! Baby balchao! bahal... Jaana.. khena...” 

And when she is in the bathroom…

Monami is trying to wash her hair.  Like many other young children, she doesn’t like the feeling of water splashing on her face. She struggles as her mother bathes her. 

Karan just happened to walk pass the bathroom. 

Esha baby immediately shouts out: “Hep! Baby balchao! Papuli.”
(Actually this papuli is something jo mera nephew kabhi kabhi bhaiya ko bolta hain.. jab jyada hi khush hota h.. it's papuli.. daduli...ajeeb ajeeb se naam.. ab jaake usne bolna km kiya h  )

But Karan stood at the door and looked at his daughter with an aloof smile. Then he said to her: “Sorry, Papuli nahi bacha sakta hai...” Then he walked away mercilessly. 

Esha baby was stunned. Then she started to cry.

Monami turned around and yelled out to him: “Don’t do that in the future. It might cause psychological shadows.

To which he answered: “My daughter need to possess a strong heart.” 

Monami: “…..”

Esha Baby continued to cry…

—————

After baby came, they spent less time ‘engaging intimately’. 

One evening, after baby is put to bed, Karan said to Monami: “Hep! Baby papuli balchao, my lovely wife.”

Monami smiled and looked at him: “Main Baby ke papuli ko kaise bachau?”

Karan scooped her into his arms and rolled himself on top of her: “What do you think?”

…..

The next morning. 

Monami was still half asleep when Karan gently shook her: “My lovely wife, I want to eat fish congee.”

Monami complained: “I saved you many times last night…. Go make it yourself.  You should be serving me today.”

Karan thought about how she ‘rescued’ him the previous night. He smiled satisfactorily: “Ok.  Take a rest.”

Just as he was about to get out of bed, he saw baby sitting up in her bed, staring at them.

Hep! Baby balchao!” She said.

Monami was a little apprehensive. Oh no! Did baby hear the words they used when they were flirting with each other? Even though baby do not comprehend what they said, but it’s still inappropriate…

But her concerns were unnecessary.  Because baby promptly climbed out of her bed and headed to the toilet while shouting: “Hep! Baby balchao!  Wee-wee…”

*******

Till the last
Ta-ta

Signing off
Kriya