Prologue

I sat outside my Gran's home under the hazel tree, positioning my offerings in place. I had always loved this tree. Whenever I played hide-n-seek with Daddy, I would pretend to disappear behind its branches. Its multiple limbs held secret little places I could squeeze into. There I could pretend to open my eyes and be somewhere different.

Somewhere magical. Somewhere like Faerie.

But Daddy always found me. Reality always came back with a flood of too-bright sun and the scent of the few butterworts that Gran grew in her garden.

I glanced over at Gran's cottage to make sure she hadn't snuck outside to catch me in the act. The evening sun shone down in lazy rays, turning the green Irish grass on the hillsides a fiery red as day began to turn into night.

I looked down at my ring of flowers and couldn't help the grin that spread across my face. I sat on the edge of a faerie ring. I had placed a few gifts inside of it, herbs and wildflowers I had collected over several days when Gran wasn't looking. A pretty silver mirror I had bought on a trip in town with the money Daddy had given me for washing his car. 

If Gran knew what I was doing, she would tear down the entire ring and drag me into the house by the ear. But Gran was nowhere to be seen, meaning my ears were safe for now. I could hear her distant singing from inside the cottage as she prepared evening tea. All she needed to do was look out the window from the kitchen and she would see me.

I was lucky she hadn't noticed the faerie ring growing back this time. She was always so quick to destroy it whenever she saw the little mushrooms peek up from the ground. This time I had been patient. I was sure this time my plan would work.

I would summon a faerie. They would accept my offerings. And with that, they would grant me my wish.

To take me to their world for one day, and one night, free of enchantments. I knew of the pesky faerie enchantments, it was why Gran was so determined to keep them away. But surely, I could go to faerie for one full day and no one would have to know. As long as I was sure to make sure I was safe from any tricks, nothing could go wrong.

I wanted to see it so badly. I needed it, deep in my bones. Ever since Gran had told me the first tale of the fae and their world, I had wanted to see it for myself.

It called to me. Even now, the wind brushed against my skin, tingling like there was and incoming storm.

I fiddled with one of the tulips I had placed around the ring's edge. Their pink petals were starting to wilt, making them look lost among the flurry of daisies I had woven between them to make a crown I imagined a faerie princess might wear. Not that I had such high hopes that one of the pretty, tall High Fae might appear. I would be happy with a little flower sprite or a generous house brownie. The scent of lavender filled the air from a few sprigs I had managed to steal from Gran's drawer.  Arts and crafts were never something I excelled at, and I worried it would not be pretty enough to attract a faerie. Maybe I should have brought out a bowl of milk, but there was no way I would have been able to get it past Gran.

But I really hoped it would.

Slowly, the shadow from under the tree grew longer, and the last few traces of sunlight tapered off. I looked back at the house and resisted the urge to bit my fingers. But Gran was still singing, the Gaelic lyrics carrying in the air. Gran had such a beautiful voice. I could picture her there, sitting by the living room table in her rocker, her eyes closed as she sang softly for no one but herself.

I settled on my knees just outside the ring, afraid to blink as I stared at its center. But as time passed, I pressed my lips together, and glared down at the faerie ring.