She could've ignored her parent's jerky behavior, but no, two weeks later she chose to acknowledge it in the middle of a restaurant.

Why?

She wasn't making this easy for him at all.

"Won't you sit," He told her, not liking her standing when there was a seat in front of him.

She smiled lightly and sat, placing her plate of jerk chicken in front of him.

His mouth watered at the sight.

"I'm so sorry for how they treated you, Austin. I can't make an excuse for them, but I can say that I don't agree with the way they treat people sometimes. I love them, but they needed the reminder you gave them," Anastasia said, genuinely feeling upset with her parents.

Austin waved his hand. "I thank you for apologizing, but I don't want you takin blame. You were the good part of that dinner, Anastasia." He couldn't help but wink.

His words took a burden off her shoulders.

"That's wonderful. You have a good head on your shoulders. Not many people could've handled them carefully," She admired his calmness and honesty.

Again, why?

"It's nothin but the Lord. I woulda cussed them so fast if He wasn't my Lord," Austin admitted. "But I do thank you, Anastasia."

Anastasia.

It didn't sound right, though it was her name.

"Anastasia? What happened to chère?"

Austin's eyes lit up and he chuckled.

She was indeed full of surprises.

"I knew you liked it, chère." He cheesed, making her laugh softly. "Don't worry. I'll call you that til I say goodbye,"

She didn't mind the name. It was rather homey and pretty.

"Well, I won't take more of your time, Austin. Thank you for listening," She knew better than to overstay her welcome.

Austin shook his head. "No, ma'am. Now why would I let your sweet self sit alone? I'll gladly keep your company, chère."

He was taking advantage of the fact that they were alone. Not in a creepy way. He only liked talking to her without the reservations that clearly came when her family was around.

He hoped she'd spill another interesting fact about herself.

He was trying to fight it, but she was clearly more than just a woman.

"Oh, well, if you don't mind," Anastasia smiled, grateful for his invitation.

Her lunch breaks were spent alone and she didn't mind. But having someone to sit with was actually pleasant.

Austin dug back into his oxtails and sighed at the absolute perfection.

The pair ate in silence before Austin spoke.

"You ever ate the oxtails, chère?"

She shook her head with her cute nose scrunched up in disgust. "Eating a tail has never interested me."