Chapter 38 - Numb

*content warning: mention of alcohol/substance abuse, depression, mention of sexual assault, mention of bullying, mention of death*
If you come across a trigger that wasn't listed, let me know. Stay safe.
Chapter 38 - Numb

Julia's P.O.V.

I walk alone to school.

Harry no longer lives in the neighborhood so I have nobody to talk to. Clayton had tried to convince me this morning to ride with him on the bus as had become the usual but I have no desire whatsoever to be around people.

Laura had already reassured me multiple times that it would be alright if I wanted to stay home today. But as much as it pained me to roll out of bed only two weeks after the incident, the last thing I want is for people treat me like I'm a wounded child.

So I didn't bother to notify Harry I'm walking.

The warm air that's usually relaxing is now suffocating me. The birds chirping is now a brag of their happiness.

And I know it's ridiculous to be taking everything in such a negative manner but considering the circumstances, I think I'm entitled to a bit of moping.

The second I step onto school campus, my heart sinks impossibly deeper.

And maybe I'm being paranoid but it seems all eyes are on me.

It seems as though as I pass people, their voices drop to whispers.

Their faces become sympathetic smiles.

They all rush to get out of my way.

I absolutely hate it.

So I keep walking, keeping my head down and trying to ignore them all.

I slowly make my way towards my locker, finally stopping in front of the small door with the peeling mint green paint.

24-10-34, then a muted click as the door opens.

"Diana." I hear behind me and I turn, slight shock flashing through me.

It's the boy.

The boy from so many months ago that I convinced Harry to leave alone on the very first day I'd gotten here. The young boy gives a slight smile as he sees I recognize him.

"Hey..." I reply quietly, not sure of what else to say. I don't even know his name.

"I'm really sorry... about your mom..." He murmurs, looking down nervously to pick at a loose string on his oversized The Neighborhood tshirt.

But I'm surprised when I don't feel annoyance or grief towards his approach.

I feel comfort.

The sympathetic smiles of the students passing by caused a sort of claustrophobia to flush heat to my face.

Yet this thin little freshman I'd only seen once manages to bring comfort to me. But I notice a moment later, his storm grey eyes are slightly wide.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to- I'm sorry..." He blurts, his brows furrowing upwards.

"What?" I ask stupidly, mentally kicking myself in the shin.

"I-I made you cry." He points out timidly.

I raise one hand to my cheek, surprised as I feel the warm tear that's trickling over my cheek.

When did that happen?

The mortified boy still stands in front of me, guilt weighing him down.

"It's fine, it's alright. It isn't your fault." I quickly reassure, forcing a small smile as I quickly swipe at the tears before they can run any further.