Chapter 20 - Rain

*content warning: brief mention of fire*
If you come across a trigger that wasn't listed, let me know. Stay safe.
Chapter 20 - Rain

Julia's P.O.V.

Then our perfect moment is interrupted. A soft plink sounds next to my head and a moment later a drop of the falling rain pelts my cheek.

I lift my head from Harry's side to see he's already ahead of me, looking up at the sky with a disapproving frown as if his scowl would stop the oncoming rain.

He looks back down to my face, his words echoing my unspoken thoughts.

"We should go inside, the roof will get slippery..."

I nod hurriedly when out of nowhere, the skies empty themselves and it begins to rain buckets.

I squeal and Harry yelps in surprise. His arm immediately grips my waist firmly as he tugs us back towards the window, fighting against the now slick roof.

A quiet yelp of pain escapes me just as he steps through the window, pulling me in and setting me on my feet.

"Did I hurt you?" He asks worriedly, his green eyes twinkling with excitement from the onrush of water.

Water drops dot his dark curls, an occasional strand glued to his forehead. His slick hands cup my hips lightly, his rosy lips parted in worry as his shoulders move up and down in time with his panting.

"Did I hurt you?" He repeats, his voice slightly higher in panic.

It takes me a moment to remember he's asking me a question.

"No." I respond blankly and his eyes flicker to my stomach.

I follow his gaze to see one of my arms had come up to cover my midsection. Then I realize.

The scar.

I still have the burn scar from the beam that had trapped me in the fire. It seemed like ages ago.

His nimble fingers pushed up my top a few inches, a startled gasp escaping his lips as his eyes set on the pink, angry puckered scar.

His eyes flash up to mine in alarm and my mind stumbles around helplessly for an excuse.

I couldn't exactly tell him "I got trapped under a flaming beam and died."

"What happened?" He demands, his cool thumb lightly tracing the burn.

My skin tingles at his touch and I unthinkingly blurt out "A fire."

My heart jumps into my throat as he looks back up to me in concern and I know I've said the wrong thing.

I almost told him.

His too alert, too knowing eyes probe mine.

My heart won't stop racing.

He can see right through me, I'm sure of it.

But just when I'm about to buckle under the pressure of his stare, understanding flickers in his eyes.

"Earlier tonight... With the hair curler..." He says softly, his eyes sad.

I nod without a word, quickly trying to pin a dismissive smile onto my face.

"Harry, let's just go-"

He cuts me off, his brows furrowed in concern. "Diana, you're adopted... What happened to your family?"

I fall silent, watching his face.

He's asking too much. He's getting too close.

I can't keep it from him much longer. He's too smart for that.