Chapter 15 - Discussions

*content warning: mention of bullying, mention of violence*
If you come across a trigger that wasn't listed, let me know. Stay safe.
Chapter 15 - Discussions

Julia's P.O.V.

I walk in the door to the house, dropping my bag at the door and walking into the living room to set the bouquet of roses on the side table before I collapse on the couch. I still feel giddy from our walk home together, both of us grinning and laughing the whole time. And although we'd parted ways more than five minutes ago, I still feel the warmth of his hand in mine.

"So I heard somebody got some flowers and a kiss from Harry Styles today." I hear Alice's singsong voice as she walks down the stairs, plopping down on the other end of the couch.

"Where'd you hear that?" I say as nonchalantly as I can and hoping I'm not blushing.

"Xavier saw you guys and told me on the bus." She laughs, gesturing towards the roses on the table.

"That and I doubt you just happened upon a perfectly arranged bouquet on the way home."

"Did Clayton hear?" I ask, grimacing.

"He did." She confirms, nodding.

"Darn..." I sigh, slumping down in my seat.

"Guess you'll just have to kill him." Alice says calmly, sighing.

I only nod in agreement, laughing.

"What's this about killing me?" Clayton asks incredulously from the stairs.

"You heard that I kissed Harry." I answer, looking over my shoulder at him.

"Oh, right." He nods, walking over to sprawl out in the armchair.

"I would say that I only get protective if the guy's got a bad reputation. But that doesn't really alleviate anything in this case..." He frowns, sighing.

"Harry's really not a bad guy at all..." I defend. "He's just been given the short end of the stick, he's hurt... He's actually a really great guy, I promise."

"I had to keep him from killing you the first day you met him, I saw the way he treated you for the first while, and honestly, do you think we're stupid enough to believe that bruise came from accidentally hitting your arm with your locker door? Honestly, Julia, it was in the shape of a hand, we aren't idiots." His voice hardens, his brows furrowing deeply over his bright blue eyes.

"I have homework..." Alice mumbles in a small voice, rising off the couch and hurriedly scurrying back upstairs.

Clayton continues to watch me in tense silence, his jaw locked.

"I know you aren't stupid, Clayton, I didn't want you to worry..." I explain quietly, frowning.

"How can I not?" He scoffs, shaking his head a little as he gets up to take Alice's place.

"Harry isn't gonna hurt me, Clayton..." I try to soothe him, but his angry blue eyes flash to me.

"It kills me, you know. You're here because of him, I know that. I know you have to spend time with him. But I want to tell him to leave you be. I wish I could tell him that if I ever find out that he laid a hand on you, that I'd deck him. I can't even tell you to stay away from him."

"And if you did, I wouldn't listen to you." I reply evenly, my voice cool.

"Julia!" He groans in exasperation, pinching the bridge of his nose.

He takes a few slow and even breaths, running his hands over his face.

"I just hate that I can't protect you the way an older brother should..." He mutters quietly, letting his hands drop into his lap as he looks at me tiredly.