Chapter 31 - Shampoo

Start from the beginning

"I'm tired..." She barely murmurs, her legs curling to her chest as she turns to cuddle into me. As I rest my chin on her head, my gaze catches on the faint light of the clock.

"I've got to get home soon, darling..." I whisper, pressing my lips to her head.

"Please stay..." She immediately whimpers, her delicate hands clenching around my shirt.

It almost pains me to refuse her.

"It's getting late, it's almost midnight. Aunt Jane will want me home..." I try to reason, sliding one arm under her knees as I wrap the other around her back.

I struggle to bring my feet under me to gain balance, grunting as I get to my feet. She sighs quietly, her face nuzzling into my throat as I carry her to the stairs.

The height is slightly daunting but she seems to sense my hesitation, clinging to me tighter as I start carefully up the stairs. So when I finally reach the top, I walk into her room and lay her gently on her bed.

"No, don't leave me..." She whispers pleadingly, her knuckles white as she fists the material of my shirt desperately.

"I'm sorry, pips... I've really got to go..." I try to avoid her tired gaze, gently prying her fingers away from the dark material.

Both of my hands easily cup around hers and now she doesn't bother to fight back. I bring our hands to my lips, pressing a gentle kiss onto her knuckles as a silent plea that she'll be able to sleep as blissfully as she did before.

"G'night, Harry..." Her tone is defeated with a slight slur that taints her whisper as she struggles to keep her eyes open. And finally I leave one soft kiss on her forehead.

"Goodnight, Julia..."

∘∞∘∘∞∘∘∞∘∘∞∘

Julia's P.O.V.

My fingers comb through his soft curls as I struggle to think of another question to ask him. He gazes up at me from my lap with the tiniest of smiles.

"Time's up! My turn to ask!" He boasts, a grin spreading across his lips.

"That was not thirty seconds!" I protest, my jaw dropping agape. Harry's mocking smirk crosses his face again, murmuring teasingly "You're right, it was thirty minutes."

I fight back the laughter, smacking his chest lightly. "You are such a jerk!"

I can't help but join in on the booming laughter he gives at my complaint.

"Just let me ask the question. It's a good one." He begs, his brows furrowing upwards as he juts his full bottom lip out. I try to keep my face unwavering when his hands move from his chest to clasp together pleadingly. I sigh in defeat.

"Fine, ask away."

He grins for a quick moment, blurting out without hesitation. "If you could talk to one dead person from the past, who would it be?"

I'm slightly taken aback. He's still got that casual, curious grin as his green eyes follow mine. But while they look thoroughly happy, I can't help but feel there's a small glimmer of despair in there. That I can find it if I look carefully.

As I debate my answer, the tip of his tongue catches between his bottom lip and his top teeth as he waits patiently.

"You." I finally decide.

He's the one with shock written all over his face now.

"What?" He finally asks, brows furrowing as he tries to comprehend my answer.