Chapter Twenty-Two: June 20th, 1970

Elora's point of view:

"Marry me then," Flynn said to me as we lay in bed. My eyes widened when he said the words. He wanted to marry me? He was proposing to me? I had no idea how to react, but I was happy that he was asking.

"You want me to marry you?" I asked. I wanted to say yes, but something kept poking at me. Maybe it was the danger we were both in. The fact that I was in the middle of a high speed chase from the KKK. I wanted to get married, I had envisioned being with Flynn for the rest of my life more than once and it brought happy tingles to my stomach. I just didn't know if now was the time to do it.

"I know now wouldn't be a great time. I know we're in a lot of danger. But why not? We get married, and then we get back to business. At least we have some semblance of unity that could keep us together," Flynn replied. He had quite the point there. I still didn't know if it was a good idea. I wanted to marry him, I really did. There was just so much going on right now.

"You're right," was all I could say. That was because I didn't know what to tell him. I wanted to say yes, but what if it didn't work out? What if something happened and we would have to stop it? I didn't want to postpone my wedding if I was having one.

"How about this. Think about it for a bit tomorrow, and then let me know. I don't want to rush you," he explained. I took a short breathe and nodded. He was so patient, so reasonable to me. I loved how good he was, no matter what I wanted to do or how I did it. I didn't understand how I could get so lucky.

"Alright. I'll think about it," I replied. He nodded and kissed my lips quickly before he and I lay down in bed. He pulled me into his arms as I turned off the lamp, and we fell into peaceful and dreamless sleep.

•••

Flynn's point of view:

Asking her didn't grant me the idealist of reactions from Elora. I basically told her what she could do, which was think about it. She agreed with it quickly, and that informed me that she didn't know if she wanted this or not. I didn't show it to her, but it bugged me a little. Why couldn't she just say yes or no? I know it's my fault that I put the idea into her head that she could think about it for a while. I sacrificed my own hopefulness and patience for her, but that was a small price to pay if I had a chance at making her my wife.

In the morning, I woke up before she did. I usually did, Elora was a rather late sleeper. It was about eight thirty when I pulled myself out of bed and made my way to the kitchen. David was already awake making breakfast. The smell of eggs and sausage filled the room in a powerful and decadent aroma that instantly made me hungry. I already loved it here and it hadn't even been two days.

"Morning, Flynn. Did you sleep well?" David asked. I went and sat down at the breakfast bar. My face went down when I thought of when I asked Elora to marry me. I didn't sleep at all that night, even though she did, heavily. She always did though, that was just her.

"Well enough," I said, half-heartedly. I knew David had sensed there was more to my speech than what I was letting on.

"Is something the matter Flynn?" He asked. I sighed and shrugged as he served me a cup of coffee. The steam of it billowed into my nose, creating a scent that reminded me of the coffee farms of Colombia. This must have been coffee he had shipped on his own.

"I asked Elora to marry me last night," I replied. Why did I do that? I never shared things about my personal life, how did I manage to just tell David why I was so down? Things just seemed to be getting more and more unexpected, and now I was getting pulled into that. David's reaction was surprised but not baffled.