Working on it part three (tw sh⚠️)

Part 3 as requested:

Mari's pov:

Maeve took work off that Monday to take me to my appointment and be around afterwards in case I felt overwhelmed.

She hadn't yelled at me once since the day she found out about everything, but I was a bit worried that just meant she was bottling it all up and she'd explode on me later.

Anyway, the appointment went well. I told my therapist about my family stuff, my issues with self harm, and my relationship. She suggested that a big reason that Maeve might get upset is because she doesn't understand, so that I should try and sit her down and explain why I hurt myself.

Maeve was sitting in the car reading a book when I knocked on the window for her to let me in.

" Hey love." She said a bit startled as she unlocked the door and I got in. " How'd it go?"

" It went good. Thanks for making this happen for me, I needed to do it." I said.

" Of course baby. Now how about we pick up whatever you want to eat and we can go home and watch a show or something, sound okay?" Maeve suggested.

" Yeah sounds good." I replied, so she took me to get food and then we went home.

As we sat down on the couch and Maeve was searching for something to put on I spoke.

" My therapist suggested I do something and I think it's a good idea, so can I try and explain something?" I asked cautiously.

" Of course, go for it." She said and put the remote down and focused her eyes on me.

" Okay, so I think it would help you understand more if I explained why I self harm." I started out and noticed she was listening intently.

" It feels like a high, or like a release of emotions. Sometimes I do it because I'm feeling too much and sometimes it's because I'm not feeling anything. I know it sounds insane like you said that night, but it's like a drug and once you start it's hard to stop." I explained further.

" I'm sorry for saying that baby, it's not insane, it's just a dangerous way to cope." She apologized.

"Thanks. I'm just, I just need to know how you feel about it and how you want me to communicate relapses or urges with you so I don't anger you. I don't want to make this harder for you than it is." I said.

" That's not your responsibility love. It's solely on me whether I get angry or not and you never angered me, I just treated you like you did and I'm so sorry. During my appointment Friday, my therapist said that most of my anger seems to stem for anger with myself, and I just take it out on others." Maeve said and I nodded acknowledging her words.

" So, to give you an answer, I get angry with myself for not being there to keep you safe. Of course I don't want you to hurt yourself because it's unsafe and I love you, but I'm not mad at you for doing it. I understand why now. So communicate those things however makes you comfortable okay?" She told me and I felt a lot better.

" Thank you baby." I said and kissed her as happy tears trickled from the corners of my eyes and down my cheeks.

She raised her hand to my cheek and used her thumbs to wipe away my tears.

Maeve's pov:

When Mari told me she wanted to explain why she self harmed all I wanted to do was cry, hold her hands, and tell her about how I understood, but I didn't. I just listened and gave her the reassurance she needed that I wasn't going to be mad at her again for it.