Chapter 17

"Hey, you cheated!"

Kagome paused over the udon she was making to glance over her shoulder. Shippo was sitting on the floor with his arms crossed over his chest, while Mei glared at him indignantly.

"I did not."

"You did too," the little girl said accusingly.

"Play nice, you two," Kagome called to them.

"But Kagome, Shippo is cheating," Mei whined.

"How do you know?" Shippo shot back.

Mei's eyes narrowed. "Because one second the card was an egg and the next it was wasabi."

Kagome stared at the kitsune. "Shippo?"

"What?" He met her eyes, feigning innocence.

"Did you use illusion— erm, take an extra card from the deck?"

"Maybe," he replied petulantly.

She sighed. "Put it back. Mei wins this round."

"But Kagome!"

"No buts. There is no honor in cheating."

"Then I guess there is no honor in sticking someone's tongue out either," Shippo returned.

Kagome reprimanded Mei for her childish antics.

"This game makes no sense," Koga complained, throwing his cards down.

"That's because you don't listen," Ayame told him with a roll of her eyes.

"You could have won," Mei pointed out to the wolf prince. "You had the most pudding cards."

"Say what now?" Koga gathered up his cards, studying them as if they were precious jewels.

Kagome laughed, shaking her head as she went back to preparing dinner for everyone.

Initially, she'd been surprised that Sesshomaru trusted Koga and Ayame's tribe to assist. He despised wolves ever since he became aware of their involvement in Rin's death. When Kagome asked him about it, Sesshomaru told her that he would rather she be surrounded by old friends than new does. Apparently, he did not care much for Lord Koremi.

Koga and Ayame shared this opinion. They had gathered all those loyal to them, surviving members of their original tribes, to run scouting missions and serve as guards. In return for their aid, Sesshomaru promised to make them the new rulers of Lord Koremi's territory.

She was grateful for the company. With Sesshomaru tracking Lord Taigen and fulfilling his duties as the high lord, Kagome had been left alone. Being reunited with her friends was comforting, especially during a time of change and uncertainty.

Kagome would be lying if she didn't admit she was anticipating backlash for Sesshomaru's choice. Ume had warned her the morning after their mating. Kagome had hoped her display of spiritual power would be enough to deter any from attacking. Yet, with each passing day, she felt her reiki strengthening. It was as if her body knew to prepare for what was to come.

She'd felt different since mating with Sesshomaru. There was the odd sensation of his yoki entwining with her reiki. The chords of their opposing powers, once at odds with one another, threaded together into a braid, creating a cord that extended across time and space, connecting them. Kagome's awareness of their bond increased daily.

So when she felt a third string, she asked Myoga about it.

"The lord's jaki is quite strong. Perhaps that is what you feel," he'd suggested.